Straight Talk Tethering on AT&T Phone

Mar 28, 2018
So I bought a AT&T LG G5 unlocked off of eBay believing that I would be able to tether. Set up went fine and my Straight Talk SIM works fine after I changed the APN settings. I went to try to activate my moible hotspot and was greeted by a authenticating screen, and then a message saying that authentication was unsuccessful. It prompted me to go to att.com/mywireless or call 611 to have it activated. I have Straight Talk though, so is there some hack I can do?

Solution
Why would you think just because it is unlocked you can tether it. Straight talk sell a number of different plans but most clearly state in the contract that tethering/hotspot use is not allowed. This is the only way they can offer the service at the price point they do.

All phones will tell the provider if you are running it in hotspot/tethered mode. People root the phones to try to hide this but the provider can still tell. Mobile ISP do a lot of snooping on the communications and pc data looks very different from phone based data. In best case they will just cancel your account, worst case they will send you a bill for the data usage and try to collect it in court.

Just use one of their hotspot data plans and it...
Why would you think just because it is unlocked you can tether it. Straight talk sell a number of different plans but most clearly state in the contract that tethering/hotspot use is not allowed. This is the only way they can offer the service at the price point they do.

All phones will tell the provider if you are running it in hotspot/tethered mode. People root the phones to try to hide this but the provider can still tell. Mobile ISP do a lot of snooping on the communications and pc data looks very different from phone based data. In best case they will just cancel your account, worst case they will send you a bill for the data usage and try to collect it in court.

Just use one of their hotspot data plans and it will work fine....not sure if they offer them on a phone or just their hotspot but you can get data plans.

Solution