Question Straightening a used USB port

kacper6768

Great
BANNED
Mar 5, 2023
The USB socket in the computer has worn out that when the flash drive is connected to the USB all the time, the computer behaves like this and makes such system sounds as if every second I remove and insert the pendrive. I made a tool for straightening USB ports from an ordinary pin.

DSC07145.png

I crushed this pin at the very end with pliers.

I fix the USB port in such a way that I tuck the plate from the USB port and turn the pin inwards to bend the plate inwards towards this long black rectangle. Of course, then the computer is turned off.

DSC07138.jpg

I do this with each of the four sides of the USB part and it helped. Are there any professional tools for repairing USB ports like this?

After some time of using these USB ports, they can bend again and repaired many times can cause one of the plates to break. It's like bending a wire in different directions, sooner or later it will break at the point of bending.

I'm trying to use a USB extension cable.

1.png

not to make USB ports.

A USB HUB would be ideal

2.png

it would be possible to connect many other devices, but I don't have such a USB HUB.

I only have a USB extension cable.

Phones found in dumpsters have so much used USB ports

3.png

that I can't even charge these phones, I have to take the battery out and replace it with another phone to charge the battery. These USB ports from phones are too small to fix.

The best would be phones with wireless charging function and it is better to connect the phone to the computer via Bluetooth instead of a cable so that the USB port does not used-up.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Never let form get in the way of function.

Once you fixed the USB port via the punch pin "tool" then just go ahead and use a USB M-F extension cable so you no longer need to be concerned about continually rebending/fixing that orginal host USB port.

My techs came up with all sorts of imaginative ways to fix things. One fix included a plastic coffee stirrer.....

Worked perfectly well to lock a loose RAM into the host motherboard.

= = = =

As for salvaged "dumpster phones" and USB hubs:

Remember that many products are now made to not be repairable or even re-purposed in some manner.

And using USB hubs may be counterproductive if they do not have their own independent power source.

Fix what you can, re-purpose or recycle that which you cannot fix.

You get to make those trade-offs and decisions. E.g. Bluetooth vs USB......

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Given the age of the computer (VGA port and damaged USB2 socket) it probably has two or three 9-pin internal USB2 headers on the motherboard.

usb-headers.jpeg

You could fit a dual or quad port bracket to the PC and use these sockets instead.

DBRK-A.jpg

DBRK-B.jpg