Question Strange beep on shutdown or entering sleep mode - ibuypower prebuilt

Jul 2, 2020
Beeps on manual shutdown and also when entering sleep mode. Also have heard a similar noise on occasion when the computer is on. Works fine with no issues, even while gaming.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz_Ib0g8Sug

I59400
TUF b365m plus
Msi gtx 1660
Wd blue 1td hdd & 256gb ssd
Psu is unknown - bestbuy site says 600w, reviews say 500w.

Any input on what this might be would be greatly appreciated. I've re-seated the ram, but no other troubleshooting has been done. I'm no tech and wouldn't feel comfortable doing much else myself.

I should mention that Ibuypower support said they have never heard this noise. Hard to believe, but worth mentioning. Also had a reputable computer shop check the youtube video and he said it is not normal but obviously wants it brought in for diagnosis. I'm just seeing if anyone is confident in what it might be before hand.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020
There isn't a label anywhere I can tell. I had the back casing off and still couldn't see much. Wouldn't be comfortable pulling it out. I've also checked the reviews on Bestbuy and quick searched PSU and there's not much info coming up for the BB971. I'm pretty sure Ibuypower doesn't even know what components with 100% certainty - just whatevers within arms reach when building.

I had the computer positioned with my ear to the PSU and it was still hard to tell if this is where it was coming from.

Jul 2, 2020
make and model of the psu?

Meant to press reply to your message earlier, appreciate you taking the time to respond. Would you happen to have a guess where this is coming from by chance?

I've seen something about older Nvidia cards that will beep if power is cut to the before the computer fully powers down - almost like a bios timing issue. Thoughts?

Aside from the above, I did listen to some HDD sound compilations this vaguely resembles a few I've heard.

I did find out its an American megatrends but there arent really any beep codes I can follow for this situation is there? My understanding is that beep codes are specific to POST and have a more distinct beep sound.

Thanks