Question Strange behavior after installing RTX 3090

AHalfSammich

Reputable
Jul 2, 2019
So I got an RTX 3090 on sale from Amazon recently. I had to buy a bigger power supply for it and installed them both. It boots up and plays games just fine. But there are a couple things that trouble me. 1st, my boot time went from 20 seconds with my 2080 super, to roughly 70 seconds. And during this newly increased boot time, for approximately a 12 second period, I can see a black screen with a white blinking text cursor in the top left. Sort of like a terminal screen. Then that terminal screen goes away and I boot into the OS. So that's weird. 2nd - If I put my computer into sleep mode, and then later wake it, it wakes up very slowly, my CPU cooler fans spin at high rpm and it will go to the desktop. Then, it will shut itself off and reboot itself. After that, it behaves as normal once its up and running again. Do these symptoms speak to anyone's personal experience? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Full specs are:
GIGABYTE X570 Aurorus mother board
Ryzen 9 3900X CPU
2 X 8 3200mhz RAM
Powerspec 1050 watt 80 plus gold ATX powersupply
Coolermaster CPU cooler
RTX 3090 GPU

Ralston18

Titan
Check BIOS.

Initial boot:

Determine if the boot process is "Verbose" where the boot process reports what it is doing and the results for every step of the boot process.

There may be some other name used but in many cases the end user can disable that process to speed up the boot.

At the expense of being able to watch for problems.

Try turning off all power/screen savers to determine if the problem ends. Then they can be re-enabled one by one to discover which one, if any, cause the sloweness etc. to return.

AHalfSammich

Reputable
Jul 2, 2019
Check BIOS.

Initial boot:

Determine if the boot process is "Verbose" where the boot process reports what it is doing and the results for every step of the boot process.

There may be some other name used but in many cases the end user can disable that process to speed up the boot.

At the expense of being able to watch for problems.

Try turning off all power/screen savers to determine if the problem ends. Then they can be re-enabled one by one to discover which one, if any, cause the sloweness etc. to return.
I'm not terribly worried about the boot time. I was just wondering if the delayed boot time and the terminal-like screen that I am seeing during boot was indicative of a known problem. I am worried about how I can't use sleep mode, or it will result in an unexpected shut down on reawakening though.

Ralston18

Titan
The behavior and restarts could be a result of corrupted files.

Use "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to look for and repair corrupted files.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

That said be sure, before doing anything, that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations away from the problem computer.

Ensure that the backups are recoverable and readable.

The behavior, for reasons unknown, may be a warning. Something has changed and is showing up as a longer boot time.

No way to know what might happen next.