Strange behavior while shutting down computer

johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017
Yesterday night my computer took about 5-7 minutes to shut down and not only that... before shutting down it went on the "Preparing Windows" screen for a few seconds and then it finally shut itself down. I've never seen this behavior before!! My computer is fine now and shuts down in 20 seconds as it always does. But should I be worried about it? What's your opinion?

Solution
see if this helps

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017

I thought that too. But if there was an update it should say in the shut down options "Install updates and shut down" right?
It only said "Shut down". Also the next day when I started up the computer, I didn't see any messages related to updates

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you get last weeks Windows Update? Try running windows update and see if anything available though as you say, it seems odd there was nothing showing in the power menu.

Try doing a restart as its about only time win 10 is actually off

johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017

I got last week's update (KB4041676) but that was in October 10th I think. Also I've disabled "Fast startup" so my computer turns off normally... however I restarted it after the strange behavior and everything seemed fine.

Colif

Win 11 Master
fast startup only really handy if you have a hdd as boot drive... he says, even though I use it on my ssd. Every little bit counts.

searching that KB number shows people getting bsod from it. I haven't seen that around here.

It seems odd turning fast startup on would help at all. Did you have it turned off long before this or did you just do it recently? Shutdown should be perhaps a little slower as it has to dump all the data onto hdd instead of how hybrid hibernate works where it dumps half into ram and other half into hiberfil.sys on C drive.

johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017
I have "Fast startup" disabled since I built this computer which is over 2 years ago and I never had any problems with shutting down, the problem with shutting down only occured once the day before yesterday and now everything is fine, it shuts down normally. I'm just wondering what caused the problem. Also on my previous answer by saying I have disabled it so my pc turns off normally, I meant that if "Fast startup" is enabled the computer doesn't fully turn off as you stated above.

Colif

Win 11 Master
see if this helps

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Solution