[SOLVED] Strange behaviour on Windows 11 after motherboard swap ?

MOJANG

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
hi guys,

I've recently replaced my motherboard from a msi pro z690-a ddr4 to a NZXT Motherboard N7-Z69XT. My system booted up off the bat without an issue, haven't made changes prior in windows, but i've noticed alot of strange behavior. Performance-wise its very sluggish, poor framerate, freezing, slow on loading programs, hideous lag in the bios. I also noticed random shutdowns without any error messages after booting, no bluescreens so far. I ran windows update to see if it needed any additional drivers which it did, cleared CMOS, cleared all bios settings and nothing seems to fix the problem. I'm not sure what to do at this point, im looking to see if you guys have any advice towards this, any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Your cpu is overheating. Check cpu cooler and temperatures.
If you have liquid cooler, then probably pump has died or cpu block clogged.

Your 3200mhz ram is operating at 2666mhz. Probably also running in single channel mode.
This reduces performance.

Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
When swapping boards with the same OS you play the 33% game

33% of the time everything will work out just fine, no need to reinstall windows
33% of the time the computer will boot but there will be underlying issues you can fight through but you wished you just reinstalled windows to begin with
33% of the time windows wont boot and the only way to fix it is to install a fresh copy of windows.

Is the motherboards bios up to date? What are your cpu temps? Being sluggish in the bios is a whole nother level of issues as you haven't even gotten to windows for there to be driver issues.

Please list full list of computer parts, plus make, modle, and how old the PSU is

MOJANG

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
Update: ive reinstalled windows, updated the bios to the latest, the lag apparently isn’t too much of a problem anymore but the random freezing and shutdowns still remain. Ive noticed its commonly happening when executing tasks.

MOJANG

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
Did you install all necessary drivers?
What model PSU are you using?

Can you make userbenchmark report and show link to it?

The drivers should be installed.

Psu:
https://www.amazon.com/PowerSpec-Lighting-Switching-PSX-850GFM/dp/B07FB626ZK

I doubt it has to do with my psu, its been working perfectly fine prior to the swap. There occasions where the computer randomly freezes and shuts down.

benchmark results:
NZXT N7 Z690 Performance Results - UserBenchmark

Your 3200mhz ram is operating at 2666mhz. Probably also running in single channel mode.

Solution
Feb 20, 2023
Update: ive reinstalled windows, updated the bios to the latest, the lag apparently isn’t too much of a problem anymore but the random freezing and shutdowns still remain. Ive noticed its commonly happening when executing tasks.
Sounds like a problem related to the motherboard or PSU. Random freezes and shutdowns indicate problems with the power, not drivers. Did you check that the power cables are fully and correctly inserted into the motherboard ?

MOJANG

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016

looks like the problem had been under my nose this entire time. Upon inspecting the cpu cooler, ive noticed that the cpu pump had a missing nut from a corner which likely left a gap for the cpu to overheat, how unbelievable. As silly as it sounds, i've used the ghetto technique by securing the pump's built-in bracket with a nut and a screw on each corner while the motherboard serving as a backplate for all, at least it works (all because im missing its oem bracket).

I would attach a beeper on the old motherboard, it appears that the new motherboard im using doesn't have a header for it, with it, none of this would've happened 🤦‍♂️(Not sure of theres possibly a workaround towards this).

in a sense to the low ram clock speed, i've fiddled around the dram settings. Toggled to xmp profile 1 in the bios, switched the ram slots on a2 and b2 (according to manual), manually set the dram frequency to 3.2ghz, but the clock speeds still remain. The bios lists that it’s running on dual channel mode.

Last edited: