[SOLVED] Strange behaviour when turning PSU on ?

Ljac95

Honorable
May 21, 2017
I have a Corsair RM850i Gold Plus Power supply, I just wanted to know if this is normal or something to be concerned about. Basically what happens is whenever I turn on the switch on the back after having previously turned it off, the whole system lights up and the fans spin for like a second or two and then it turns off. When I then press the power switch everything boots up fine. I have had no other issues but it does this every time I have to turn it off (normally this is for maintenance). I checked the BIOS settings as I heard there is a restore power feature that can cause this type of behaviour but this is set to disabled, so not sure if this is normal or not?

Solution
"You may risk cutting short the life of the battery for the motherboard because it would discharge too fast. "

No.
This is generally not true unless there is a problem with the motherboard.
The battery does not discharge too fast when you shut the power switch off on the PSU.
It is designed to be switched off without this happening.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

= = = =

Not fully sure about your power switch use.

The PSU "back switch" should not be used to power the computer on and off.

Use the Windows Power icon to turn off the system and the computer's power button to start the computer.

Windows needs to go through a "housekeeping" process to get ready for the next start up. Completing updates, saving data, etc..

If you hard power off the system via the PSU switch (or even the front switch) then Windows is unable to do the housekeeping. And the hard power offs may corrupt OS, applications, and data.

I have a Corsair RM850i Gold Plus Power supply, I just wanted to know if this is normal or something to be concerned about. Basically what happens is whenever I turn the switch on the back on after having previously turned it off the whole system lights up and the fans spin for like a second or two and then it turns off. When I then press the power switch everything boots up fine. I have had no other issues but it does this every time I have to turn it off (normally this is for maintenance). I checked the BIOS settings as I heard there is a restore power feature that can cause this type of behaviour but this is set to disabled, so not sure if this is normal or not?
This may be an inherent function of the motherboard.
I have seen this more than once.

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021
To add to this:

Even if you power off properly first, you must avoid switching the PSU backswitch to "OFF". You may risk cutting short the life of the battery for the motherboard because it would discharge too fast. Normally, battery should be good for 5 years onwards, will go down to a few months.

"You may risk cutting short the life of the battery for the motherboard because it would discharge too fast. "

No.
This is generally not true unless there is a problem with the motherboard.
The battery does not discharge too fast when you shut the power switch off on the PSU.
It is designed to be switched off without this happening.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution

Ljac95

Honorable
May 21, 2017
I only turn it off once the system is powered off and this is only on the odd occasion when I need to access componenets for maintenance etc. I was thinking this could be a motherboard function but have never heard of another system doing this.

I only turn it off once the system is powered off and this is only on the odd occasion when I need to access componenets for maintenance etc. I was thinking this could be a motherboard function but have never heard of another system doing this.
I've seen systems do this enough times to where I don't think it's a fault....and I think one of my own systems may even do this.....although I am not home to test it out at the moment.