[SOLVED] Strange black and white horizontal bars moving across the screen when the refresh rate is over 60Hz ?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, I was taking a photo of my gaming monitor and noticed that when I set the refresh rate to 60Hz+, there are bands of black and white horizontal bars moving up or down across the screen. I cannot see them with naked eyes but I can see them through my phone's camera. Is this normal? Is it bad for the eyes or the brain? When using the monitor for productivity work rather than game playing, is it better to set the refresh rate back to 60Hz or I can keep it at 120/144Hz?

Solution
Hey modeonoff,

This is completely normal and no cause for concern. Due to the difference between the capture rate of a camera and refresh rate of a monitor we can see strange artifacts when looking through a camera.

Hunstagamez

Commendable
Jun 3, 2019
Hey modeonoff,

This is completely normal and no cause for concern. Due to the difference between the capture rate of a camera and refresh rate of a monitor we can see strange artifacts when looking through a camera.

Reactions: modeonoff
Solution
Jun 12, 2021
Thank you. So this is not PWM that some mentioned could cause headache?
It won't cause headache as long as you view your monitor in the correct possition.
Is it better to stay at 120/144Hz even when reading/writing text for hours?
It won't really make a difference unless you're gaming in which 144hz will be more comfortable than 60hz.
If you wanted your camera not to capture the black bars, maxing the screen brightness will help.

Reactions: Hunstagamez

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
It won't cause headache as long as you view your monitor in the correct possition.

It won't really make a difference unless you're gaming in which 144hz will be more comfortable than 60hz.
If you wanted your camera not to capture the black bars, maxing the screen brightness will help.

I maxed the screen brightness already. At 100Hz, the bars showed up for about 2 seconds and disappeared. At higher frequencies, they showed up all the time.

Apple advertises that their latest devices with ProMotion (120Hz) allows smoother scrolling and improved responsiveness. So under Windows 10, having 100+Hz refresh rate does not provide such advantage in overall non-gaming useages?