Strange black/blank screen system crash, AFTER GPU has been under load and goes to little/no load

Ahkko

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Alright, first off, my specs.

Win7 Ultimate x64
i7-2600k
MSi Twin Frozr Gaming GTX760
Samsung 120GB EVO (previously 1TB Caviar Black)
Corsair HX650 (previously OCZ GameXStream 600W)
2x4GB G.Skill TridentX (previously 2x4GB G.Skill RipjawX)
ASUS P8P67 LE Motherboard

The problem: Essentially whenever my GPU goes from under load to not under load, my computer will give a blank screen (showing as no display), and the only way to proceed is the power off the computer from the button. Examples of when this happens are:

- during Shadow of Mordor 5-10 seconds after the start of a pre-rendered cutscene
- during WoW if I alt-tab to use Chrome
- after closing WoW
- after GPU stress test (run for 10-45 minutes with no heat problems or stability problems, but 5-10 seconds after I stop it the crash occurs)

This has been going on for a few months now (first noticed it while playing Shadow of Mordor) and I have been pulling my hair out trying to find a solution. I replaced my RAM and PSU as I noted in the specs, as both of those seemed to be possible culprits. I had the SSD lying around, so I clean installed windows onto it to try and fix it, no dice. I have clean removed/re-installed graphics drivers countless times.

Today, I decided to try my old 8800 GTS (which was in this exact build up until July 2013 when I got the MSi card), and I could not even get display on boot. Put the new card back in, uninstalled display drivers, put the old card back in, still no display.

Another possibly related symptom is that RAM slot 1 on the MOBO (2nd closest to CPU) has decided to stop working in any configuration. This has forced me to run single channel in slots 3 and 4 for the time being. Thought that might be the problem, but the crash still occurs with only 1 4GB stick inserted.

The frustrating part about this is that the rig runs like a dream otherwise - solid FPS in games, no chugging, no temperature problems. Is this just a case of my motherboard starting to die? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated here as I'm just about at my wit's end.

Ahkko

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014

Any way you could expand upon this? One word answer is really not very helpful, and this problem is still happening..

Ahkko

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014

Not the motherboard BIOS, as I didn't really think it would be an issue/have never done it before and am afraid of messing something up, lol. Is this worth trying?

i was talking abt the nvidia drivers.. are they the latest one?

Ahkko

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014

yeah, and I've reinstalled them several times

uninstall nvidia drivers

run DDU and clean driver leftovers

download the latest nvidia drivers freshly from their site and install

Ahkko

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Okay, I'm trying to do that but now DDU (as well as Curse Client for WoW which goes at startup) are throwing .NET framework errors. Tried to do a repair, didn't work =/

Ahkko

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Just did a full uninstall/reinstall of .NET 4.5 and it did not fix

I don't see how my OS can be a mess, I'm on a fresh install from like 3 weeks ago on a brand new SSD

Ahkko

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014

I get that. However the .NET error only popped around 20 minutes ago when I was trying to access DDU from safemode. No clue what happened there.

tru DDU again

selec nvidia and clean away

next install fresh nvidia drivers

Ahkko

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
okay, used a system restore point from yesterday to fix the .NET issue, ran DDU and am now reinstalling current drivers. will update after I try to replicate the crash

Ahkko

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014

It's in my original post, Corsair HX650, which I just bought last week because I thought the old one might have been the problem.

Ahkko

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Yep, that is the frustrating part... playing a game is fine, its just closing or alt-tab that crashes it... My idea of it being the motherboard comes from the fact that my old 8800GTS won't even display anything when I plug it in despite the fact that it was working fine when I took it out of the build ~1.5 years ago

Ahkko

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Update for anyone experiencing a similar issue: my GPU works fine in my friends computer, and since I've replaced everything else and done everything humanly possible on the software side, I'm gonna have to assume its a motherboard issue. Going to replace and then I will report back for all you google searchers in the future :)