Strange boot problem

sambat2000

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
I normally run my pc with two Samsung SSD drives, a 256gb 850EVO boot drive, and a 1tb 840EVO slave drive. Every so often I image one to the other using the Samsung cloning software.
I now wanted to use the 1TB elsewhere so simply removed it. After doing so my PC now boots only on the second start.
The first time I start I just get the flashing cursor in the top left of the screen. Power off on the start button and the PC starts fine.
If I put the slave back into my PC it starts fine.

The PC is fully up to date with driver s and updates.
There is obviously a boot issue but not sure how to fix. Any suggestions please?

Spec:
Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1703 (build 15063.674)
3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770K
MAXIMUS VI HERO Rev 1.xx
AMD Radeon (TM) R9 270
32gb (4x8GB) DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws

Solution
Yes, that's fine.

Note the 1 TB F partition has been designated as the "Active" partition. Your 256 GB boot drive - specifically the E partition should be the one that carries that Active designation.

Yes, that's fine.

Note the 1 TB F partition has been designated as the "Active" partition. Your 256 GB boot drive - specifically the E partition should be the one that carries that Active designation.

1. In Disk Management right-click on the E partition. From the menu that opens click on Mark Partition as Active.

2. If the "Active" designation on the F partition on the 1 TB HDD is automatically deleted as a result of marking the E partition Active, no further process is necessary.

3. But if the Active designation continues to...
could be two issues. on newer mb they can look for the windows 10 boot info. if the info was written to the larger drive then it might time out on the first power up. the same if there two windows system folders on both hard drives one may be active and the other not.

sambat2000

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011

Thanks, any idea of a solution.
(The last thing I want to do is a new install of windows)

There's a possibility that the 1 TB HDD contains the System Reserved partition and that's why it has to be installed along with the 256 GB boot drive during the bootup process.

Assuming the 1 TB HDD still contains the OS + other data that you would need for the 256 GB drive, repeat the disk-cloning operation with, of course, the 1 TB drive as the "source" drive and the 256 GB drive the "destination" drive, i.e., the recipient of the cloned contents.

NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT...

Immediately following the (apparently) successful d-c operation, shut down the PC and disconnect the 1 TB drive from the system. Boot to the 256 GB drive as the ONLY drive connected in the system at that time. Capiche?

sambat2000

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011

That sounds a bit risky, my 256gb disk is the most up to date disk by a few months. If I reverse clone to it I will lose a lot of programs settings etc.
It is now looking like I will have to do a new build on the 1TB and hope I can find all the software and serial numbers unless there are any more boot repairs I can try.
I also thought about doing another clone to the 1TB using Macrium, and then try to repair the boot issue with Macrium, although I dont think it will work.
I do have a spare 2.5 drive if that help in any way....

Before going any further it would be best if you could provide a screenshot of Disk Management reflecting the 256 GB boot drive & the 1 TB HDD since as you have stated, both drives need to be installed for booting to the OS. Let's determine whether the 1 TB HDD does in fact contain the System Reserved partition (as I have suspected) and that's the reason for the problem you've encountered. Ensure that the screenshot is a complete schematic of DM including the upper portion of DM so as to include the info in the various columns just below the icon menu bar.

Perhaps what I have suspected is NOT the issue causing the problem. Perhaps another issue is the cause.

sambat2000

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011

Hi, is this want you need?
OjkIzR.jpg

sambat2000

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011

L0Y8O4.jpg

Excuse the new disk, I am just formatting one up in case I need it.

Yes, that's fine.

Yes, that's fine.

1. In Disk Management right-click on the E partition. From the menu that opens click on Mark Partition as Active.

2. If the "Active" designation on the F partition on the 1 TB HDD is automatically deleted as a result of marking the E partition Active, no further process is necessary.

3. But if the Active designation continues to remain on the F partition, then do the following.

4. Access DiskPart by right-clicking on the Windows icon (bottom left corner of your Desktop) and selecting Command Prompt (Admin)
1. Enter diskpart at the prompt to load the diskpart utility.
2. Enter list disk to list all your installed disks.
3. select Disk 0 - the 1 TB drive containing the F partition.
4. Enter list partition to list partitions on the selected disk 0
5. Select partition X where X (presumably partition 1) is the desired partition that is currently marked Active
6. Enter inactive

5. Shutdown the PC and disconnect the 1 TB secondary drive from the system. Boot only with the 256 GB SSD boot drive connected - no other drives. If it boots and properly functions, all is well.

Let us know how it all turns out, OK?

Solution

sambat2000

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011

Thanks, once this format is finished I will crack on with your suggestion.
Will get back

sambat2000

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Well this has got a bit stranger.
Ran Macrium Disk (all options) repair but that seemed to make no difference.
I cloned my main ssd (256gb) to the spare drive I was formatting for safety reasons, then started the PC with just that new drive fitted.
It still booted but had similar issues.
I was then going to clone the boot sector from the 1TB, and the data from the 256GB SSD to the new drive to then see what happens.
Checked the BIOS first and everything looked fine.
Before I started I booted from the 256gb only to back up some very important info and it booted fine. I have tried several times now and it works fine.
I dont know what or how this is corrected itself. Whether it was me, or somehow the drive sorting itself but things are back to normal.
I have learnt from the experience, and thank you to all of you that helped.