[SOLVED] Strange boot up, OS doesn't load while plugged into new OLED TV. What's the issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonKorakas

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
So, I wasn't sure if this was a PC Hardware issue, or a Display Issue, so, I'm posting on here first.

So, I have a suspicion it has to do with the way the TV processes image, from its source.
I just bought a brand new A80J Sony Bravia OLED. And I have my PS5 hooked up to it, for glorious 4K/120hz action.

But I wanted to use my Gaming PC on it as well. I plugged it into one of the 4K/120hz ports. I booted, and it booted fine. I checked for Updates on my Video Card, NVIDIA 3070ti. And it said I needed an update. So, I clicked on update, and right before it finished downloading, the PC went black screen. No mouse pointer. No response from keyboard. No nothing.
So, I pressed the reset button on the top of the case, and right before the OS loaded, at the Asus TUF Gaming screen, it began flickering, with a green flickering bar at the top of the TV.
But strangely, the PC itself wouldn't boot further than that.
I would understand if the image was messed up, but the PC won't even boot into Windows.

I switched to another TV, an old LCD, 1080p, and the PC boots perfectly fine.

So, it's obviously the TV. But what exactly is causing this?
Thanks in advance for help
-Ron

RonKorakas

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
I fixed it. What was happening was that either the OS or the Graphics Card was automatically changing the refresh rate to VRR every time I plugged it into the TV. And the TV needs to manually change the HDMI port to VRR in order for it to work in CRR, so ,they weren't "matching." But once I changed the TV HMDI Port to VRR under the Input settings, everything was fine and back to normal.
Hope this helps someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.