asylum101

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
So, I came here about a month ago for help on figuring out if my mobo was faulty or my psu, and it turned out the mobo was definitely dead. So, I RMA'd it, got a refund, and bought a 90$ mobo from asus. everything works PERFECT. However, when you shut down and start up again, it freezes at the windows XP screen.. the black one with the little blue line. I don't really know what the problem is, but it works fine if I shut the psu off and on again. Not the best thing for the system, but it's the only way to get it going again. If I shut it off with the power button, either it doesn't completely shut off, or it repeats the previous error.

Parts... don't have time currently to locate each one of these on newegg... so here's this.
some sort of 550W sunbeam psu, cheapie
M3A AM2/+ ASUS mobo
2 gigs RAM Allcomponents I believe is the company

Like I said though, it works perfectly when it's on. No random stuttering during games, no sudden shut offs or anything. Every component works top notch, this weird start up problem is the only thing that bugs me here.

Any ideas?

I would have to say the problem is either that POS power supply or your RAM timings/voltage. Did you manually set the RAM timings and voltage to the manufacturers specs in the BIOS. Freezing problems are often caused by RAM issues. That PSU is just a ticking time bomb waiting to blow up and take out your whole system. I'd replace the PSU before it goes out.

asylum101

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Yes, I know the power supply is garbage. I'm going to replace it asap for an Ultra or something.

I didn't manually set the RAM timings. I didn't know about that. But like I said, everything works perfectly and the system runs cool and quiet on every game that has been played on it thus far.. The ONLY time it bugs out, is the XP loading screen. Is it really likely that even though the computer can handle that, freezes on the load because of the RAM? If so, point me on how to set the ram timings please, I always thought it was an automatic thing.

You'll have to look in your motherboard owners manual for that. The settings are in the BIOS. No one will have a silver bullet for you. You're going to have to do some troubleshooting. I'd start with getting the RAM running to spec.

asylum101

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Ok, so I finally found the time to configure the RAM timings, but it still refuses to start up on restart. Something I just noticed though: when it restarts it doesn't actually freeze. The blue bar just moves EXTREMELY slow, and becomes pixellated at times. It doesn't actually load up though, I don't think.