strange booting behaviour on my Dell Studio XPS 8100

Sep 16, 2018
hello there,

so I got rid of my gaming pc and got me a xbox one and a used dell studio xps 8100 pc for normal pc related work. yesterday, the pc came in the mail. I plugged all my stuff into it and turned it on. the fans kicked, the led light on the powerbutton went white but my monitors got no signal from the pc and the leds from my keyboard and mouse came on. after two attempts it booted into the preinstalled win10 pro. for personal matters I installed win7 home 64bit on it, same issue. I tried to turn the pc on this morning, and it needed like 15 attempts to get it boot. while trying, the bios gave me a six beep error code. I looked it up and it means that the video card might be faulty. or does it rather have to do with the psu? after those attempts, it booted just fine.

also interesting: after the pc was used, it starts just normal. minutes after with the extensioncord turned of it also started just fine BUT like one to two hours with my extensioncord turned on, the same thing happend.

I bought this PC from a dealer, I complained about it and he said that I can ship it back so they look over it and if necessary send me another unit (they have couple of this).

I orderd a used BeQuiet StraightPower 8 PSU with 450W for the future because I dont trust those OEM PSUs, but wont install it because I dont want to break my guarantee, also the fitment could be a problem because of the rather small and unique case.

any suggestions what this problem can be?

Specs:

i7 860

HD5770

8GB DDR3 RAM

120GB SSD/500GB HDD

Windows 7 Home

OEM Chicony 350W PSU

thanks in advance

1. this is a used or refurbished product (built in 2009)
2. PSu is 350W on the original XPS 8100 units (ref: https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_xps_desktop/studio-xps-8100_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf)
3. HD 5770 requires 450W or greater to run properly (ref: https://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/5000/5770#)

I would say your on the right track, change the PSU and see.

Sep 16, 2018

I'm not sure if it would better to send it back, I would try to change the PSU but I'm not to sure if it will fit inside the case.

Mayber someone has any ideas on that?

BeQuiet! StraightPower 8 (BQT E8-450W)

length x wide x height: 15 x 16 x 8,6 cm