Strange Booting Problem with P965

kingnothing83

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
I recently made a system and when i powered it on the fans started to spin up, and the hdd light came on at the front but then it instantly turned itself off. Also, there was a 3 second gap between pressing the on button, and the system turning on. I tried a few things to work out what was causing this problem and read about other users having IDE problems. So i unplugged the IDE hard disk and it booted fine. I then installed the latest BIOS and installed the jmicron drivers. I then plugged the IDE hard disk and it worked, but then the next time i tried to turn it on I got the same booting problem.

So the problem seems intermittant, also sometimes i press the on button and it boots instantly, sometimes there is 2-3 seconds where nothing happens then it turns on. Any ideas what the cause of the problem is? Maybe i dont have something plugged in properly, the motherboard is faulty, the psu is faulty, or theres a compatibility issue with the system? Thanks

MSI P965 Neo
Core 2 Duo E6400
Antec Neo 500W PSU
Antec solo quiet case
2x DDR2 800Mhz PC2-600 RAM
PX7900 256MB Video Card
Seagate 7200 SATA Hard Disk
Maxtor IDE Hard disk
DVD rewriter
Soundblaster XFi

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
:D I think the most likely cause of this situation is the motherboard being grounded by a misplaced mounting post. Check to make sure all the posts line up with all the holes in the motherboard, and remove any posts that don't.
:D

kingnothing83

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
If it was grounding wouldnt the problem be all the time, i.e. it would never boot up? Thanks for the suggestion tho ill try it out after work

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
I could be way off the mark,so apologies if this is the case.

But are you sure you haven't set your HDD and CD/DVD as master on the same cable ?

That could perhaps cause a very similar error.

Its worth a look anyway,Good luck either way.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
It sounds like more of a bios conflict. Try turning off auto detect for the drives and list the drives that you aren't using as none... i.e. secondary slave.

kingnothing83

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
thanks for all the suggestions ill try them out when i get home from work today. I have the 2 IDE drives (HD and DVD) set to cable select might telling them to be master and slave help? That BIOS idea might be a good one too, something i hadnt thought of, but ill try the grounding thing first thanks