ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Phillips, I think, 8x4x32 CD-RW. Now, when I try to burn stuff, I NEVER get 8x speeds. The drive came with Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.0, but I also got Nero 5.0. When trying to burn audio CDs, it will only go at 2X, no matter if I use a .wav or a .mp3 as the source file. Even cloning an audio CD only goes at 2X. Now, it seems like data CDs will burn at 4X, but not always. When I burn with Nero, I set it to 8X speed, but when I start the burn, it changes to 2 X and gives the message "Burn speed changed to do media." Easy CD Creator says it is burning in 8X, but it is in reality only doing 2X, as it takes 30 minutes or more to burn a 60 minute audio CD, and I can physically see the number of bytes remaining going down by only 300 KB/s. I know it isn't the media, because on a freinds burner (not sure of brand) his audio CDs burn at 8X on the same blank CD-Rs. I do not use CD-RWs, only CD-R. It really sucks that I paid for an 8X Burner but NEVER get 8X speeds. The CD-Rs I have now are just generic type, but I have also tried on Kodak and Maxwell brand 12X certified CD-Rs, but it only goes at 2X for audio CDs!!!! My system specs are:

AMD Duron 700
MSI K7T Pro KT133 mobo
128 MB PC133 RAM
Windows ME
Anything else?

DMA is enabled on the burner. Should I try disabling it and see what happens? Thanks.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you're copying on the fly, maybe your system (CDROM in particular) is having trouble keeping up so it's slowing down the speed.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just an update, I disabled DMA and it didn't do anything. It still burns data and audio CDs at 2X. Here's a little bit more info. My hard drive is the primary master, and CD-ROM is the primary slave. My CD-RW is all by itself as secondary master (e:). Being on the fly or not, or disc-at-once or track-at-once doesn't matter. It only goes at 2X. Reading Nero's help file, it says a Pentium 233 should be able to burn mp3 to audio on the fly at 4X or higher, so my system is more than capable.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
It could be drivers, namely the 4-in-1 not working well. Other than that, it's a bad burner. I use the same Maxell disks, which are gold reflective. Just doesn't get much better than those, so the problem isn't poor media.