strange claims about software compatibility...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

Please convince me... Intel used to be my favorite processor. I thought they could kill AMD and Cyrix. Now I am not sure with the P4 I have heard many compadability issuse because it is not baswards compatable and it can become really slow on some systems. Please conveince me that Intel is a better Chip instead of AMD. I would like web links and proof.

joeyman101

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for showing us how incompetant you are ergeorge.

Make up a better lie like "my fingers are broken" or "Im blind" but to say "I searched and didn't come up with anything" is BS.

Kudos to you for find the supra express, that kinda blows your "I didnt find anything" theory.

So shut your mouth, and run some more keywords. since you got nothing better to do anyway.

Here this one is good for a laugh,
http://ask.amd.com:80/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=98,E=0000000000006827760,K=2382,Sxi=18,Case=obj(1499)

next you will blame it o the motherboard! Whitch is almost always the case since AMD does not have a real chipset yet. GG AMD!

G

Fugger, it's not my responsibility to prove your claims. I spent a few minutes searching and came up with nothing. With you experience (<b>hundreds</b> of incompatibilities...) it should be easy for you to list 10 off the top of your head.

As for the Supra Express. All I found was you vague reference to an unspecified problem. No references. So that hardly counts.

As for you <A HREF="http://ask.amd.com:80/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=98,E=0000000000006827760,K=2382,Sxi=18,Case=obj(1499)" target="_new">link</A> ... what kind of sorry joke is that? It seems to be a page partway through a troubleshooting guide reccomending that, whatever problems you entered that got you here, you problem may be an incompatible MB. That's pretty sad if that's the best you can do out of "hundreds" of personnally experienced incompatibilities.

You can't even come up with <b><i>one</i></b>. Not even a trivial one.

I don't doubt that there might be a few, hell Anandtech even showed us one with the dual PIII today. Software incompatibilites do exist, even with Intel products.

Just admist that you were lying when you said you had experienced hundreds of software incompatibility problems with AMD chips.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have pointed out too many to keep list for gimps like you, do yourself a favor and quit asking for something im not going to give you.

Is that the best you can come up with?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

Two things have been proven in this forum:

1. Amd units fry alot quicker and easier than Intel units.
Everyone knows, everyone reads the posts.

2. Amd units encounter alot more problems than Intels, blame it on the software, hardware, chipset or whatever...still won't get rid of the problem.

Bwahhahahahehehehehehahahaahhaheehehe.....waaahahahahe

"Cock-a-doodle-do" is what I say to my girl when I wake her UP in the morning!!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
And this helps FUGGER's case...how? Perhaps you should go do some research and dig up examples of AMD incompatibilities. FUGGER's generally looking like an ass right now (what else is new?); you would do well to help out your fellow Intel junkie.

Oh, btw, FUGGER, I just did ergeorge's search for myself and came up with similar results. He tells us almost exactly what he did to search, so if, as you claim, he didn't actually search hard enough, perhaps you could tell us where he went wrong?

Or, since you <i>do</i> carry the burden of proof, do the search yourself and post credible evidence. You think a defense attorney should have to scour far and wide for information <i>incriminating</i> his/her client? You apparently haven't learned how the world works yet...

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

priit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have 2 times seen sth. that might (under certain cirumstances) be called "incompability" with AMD processors. Linux kernel 2.2.16 (and probably some older ones) detected athlon/duron processors as P3's and got kernel panic when trying to disable it's serial nr (then again, it's fixed since 2.2.17 and the older ones worked too if you told them do not to try to disable P3's "spy inside" feature). BTW when P4 got out, it wasn't compatible enough to work with ANY linux kernel. The other case I have seen was old Creative Labs software MIDI synth that probably looked for "GenuineIntel" and "Pentium" inside CPU and refused to work with AMD/Cyrix/etc processors saying "you need at least P90 to use this software". I know it's not AMD's fault that guys form CL don't know how to program but I think those "incompabilities" I mentioned are making FUGGER and others like him happy ;)

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Ja, I remember the original P4+Linux problem. :wink: When I asked about it on majordomo@vger.kernel.org, I got told that Intel had simply not publicized proper info for the kernel developers, and a Linux kernel would get a bit surprised at seeing an "i886" (as I believe the CPU was designated).

Kelledin

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
Love the link you sent. What was the purpose of it? Please show us the way great one show us why we will have problems with amd.

96.3 % of Statistics are made up.

G

I didn't know that about 2.2.16
I remember that it was rushed out because there was some security bug. The time between 2.2.15 and 2.2.16 was something like a week, because I was waiting on some NFS fixes that eventually got pushed back to 2.2.17.

I think the P4 problem had to do with something stupid that Microsoft did with their CPU ID code. The next available code (in binary) didn't work for MS, so Intel accomodated them. The Linux developers assumed the logical progression. I don't remember the details though.

The CL MIDI bit is interesting, if old.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I didn't have that problem with 2.2.16 (because I ran Slackware, hint hint :wink: ). 2.2.16 stock source could <i>not</i> have that problem--2.2.16 stock didn't even know (or care) about CPUs beyond the Pentium Pro! The problem was in someone's patch to 2.2.16, which most distributions would apply to their kernels for the sake of supporting "cool new technology."

Kelledin

G

"I'll ask him which company had to recall all of it's 1.13 GHz processors."

must be intel, amd would just let its customers keep the buggy [-peep-]. amd750 chipset

G

Intel has the same problem discribed in that link. If I try to install a P3 1000 socket 370 in a mobo that only supports up to 700 Mhz, it won't work! DUH! (oh yes, that was the problem described by your link, if you had taken the time to read it you would know)

Aklein

It's raining outside, and my lawn has grown a foot overnight!

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
I don't what all the hoopla is all about but as far as I
know, my AMD box runs all of my apps/games just fine.

Oracle 8i EE/personal, SQL Server 7, Visual Studio 6.0
+ my games all work just fine for me

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Buggy how? Sure, the chipset had a rather lackluster feature set, but it was hardly buggy. The only broken part of it that I heard of was the Super Bypass feature (which was generally disabled by default anyways, and bumped benchmark scores all of 2% when enabled).

Its problems handling GeForce cards can't really be blamed on the chipset; the GeForce was released after the AMD750 reference design was finalized, and it drew an amount of power unprecedented in the realm of mainstream graphics boards. Its massive power draw was what caused the "incompatibility."

Kelledin