Strange cpu problem

G

I have a T'bird 750 on a Abit kt7, not oc'ed. It worked just great until today suddenly the temperature increased about 20 °C (now about 45, before about 23, sytem temperature about 20 °C according to Via hardware monitor)
Now i seem to have some stability problems, fan works fine, no new hardware installed, haven't messed with settings. Bizarre part: Memwatcher indicates that my cpu is working at 100 % all the time! Some kind of virus or something? I just can't figure this out so i need your help people...
Thanks.

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Make sure your CPU fan is running as fast as it should be. Also, you may want to make sure you didn't kick the case and knock the heat sink out of place. CPU temp will always be higher when under full load, but you shouldn't be experience CPU related stability problems at 45C. Download a virus scanner and look for any programs running the background that might account for the excessive CPU load.

/Athlon-1.2GHz@1370MHz(137MHz*10)/Asus_A7V133/

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have almost the same set up. 700@850. When the cpu is working at 100 % the temp is about 45 °C. When the cpu is Idle temp is about 23 °C. So there is something running in the back ground causeing your temp to go up.

Try ctrl-alt-del and see if anything is running in the back ground. Also click start --> run and type msconfig. In that utility click start tab and uncheck anything that is not needed. The utility is only in windows 98.

Just hope that it is not a virus that would suck.

Jeff

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Stability problems are what you paid for, err I mean you did not pay for stability.

Next time, spend the extra five bucks and get a real Intel CPU, not a CPU that is far less than 100% Intel compatable. you got what you paid for.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had the same thing happen to me after I just got my Abit Kt7-RAID. One day the system seemed sluggish. I checked both system monitor, and Norton System Doctor, and each showed the CPU under 100% load. I had no other programs running, and this was true for safe mode as well. Powering down, then powering into BIOS still showed the temp at 50c, meaning that it was still under full load! So, it was not Windows related.

About 3 days before, I had made a few changes (lesson: only do 1 at a time) to my bios to tweak the system. To be completely honest, I do not remember what I changed (lesson: document your Bios changes). So, I cleared the CMOS (jumper on the motherboard), reset all settings to where they should be, and the problem was solved.

Reset your CMOS (be sure to TURN OFF the power supply when you do. Better yet, unplug the PC first).

Load the safe values to start. See if your full load situation is gone. If it is, then start tweaking the Bios again.

Lesson: Ignore Fugger and Amdmeltdown on AMD related questions. Ignore them on Intel related questions. Just ignore them.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Stability problems are what you paid for, err I mean you did not pay for stability."

Funny I have the same set up and no stability problem. If you think I'm lieing then look me up on tomshardware seti team. I guess all those WU cause my PC to be unstable. I run it at 100% cpu. Just because you can't build an amd pc don't be crying to rest of this board that its not stable.

Jeff

<font color=red>If your amd is not stable, you don't know how to build pc's</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Foirst of all, the lower temperatures you mentioned are almost imposible to be accurate unless you have your computer in a cold room. ALL the chips HAVE to be above room temperature if they are air cooled! So your monitoring software has been screwed all along, in reality with the false numbers it gives you, you have no idea what your temps are.

Suicide is painless...........

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
jeff, has anyone informed you but seti@home = complete waste?

Bluegene can process million~billion WU's in a few minutes instead of you doing a WU every few hours. but I guess you like putting on your shoes before you pull up your pants.

maybe its the thought of you actually finding intellient life out there, because there is none to be found here.

Good to know that your in the "team" and your wasting the most CPU.

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"the lower temperatures you mentioned are almost imposible to be accurate unless you have your computer in a cold room"

We are talking Celsius not Fahrenheit.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
23°C is 73.4°F. My chassis temperature is always about 6°-7° above room temperature. It is extremely doubtful that his chassis temp or chip temperature is actually 23°C, considering all the hear from off the chip goes to the chassis. I think that was a faulty number he had before, as there is no way the chip will run at room temperature with simple air cooling.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"maybe its the thought of you actually finding intellient life out there, because there is none to be found here."

I agree with that statement and your the main reason why. 99% of the people on this board think your a complete idiot.

Jeff

<font color=red>if your amd pc is not stable you can't build pc's</font color=red>

G

1. Bluegene doesn't exist yet, the time frame I saw said 5 years. So it may never exist, there's lots of time for funding cuts in there. Frankly, considering the rate of improvement in computer tech, I'd be a little nervous about making a tech investment with that kind of time frame. It's likely to get leap-frogged by something far cheaper.

2. If it did exist (which it doesn't) is there any chance that the SETI team would be able to rent a few minutes on it for anything like the cost of administering the seti@home effort. ie. whats the $/WU come out to?

3. Why does it matter to you what he does with his CPU? You're just not happy unless you're pissing on someone. Must be a pretty unhappy way to live your life. But that's just my opinion.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

G

I've got the T-bird 1.1 Ghz on an ABIT KT7A. Same problem here. Wierd huh?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Read what ksoth said. 21C is 71F, room temp for a nice room. Mine is always hotter. And your chips creat heat. So 20C is almost impossible unless your in a could room. BTW my motherboard monitor used to say 15C in a 28C room! So I know how accurate some of those things are!

Suicide is painless...........

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try resetting your CMOS. I had the same problem. One day 20C hotter, and 100% under load. Resetting the CMOS corrected it for me. See my earlier post.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
According to your thoughts then the people at SGI, Intel, Sun and IBM are a bunch of idiots? Sun is the number one producer, SGI is the number 3 producer, Intel is the number 8 producer and IBM is the number 11 producer of work units in the entire world.

Perhaps you should watch what you say when you are talking about the most powerful IT companies in the world. And isn't SGI the company you like to brag about? Guess they are not all they are cracked up to be.

Check out my rig:
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737</A>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Fugger, are you educated? It's all fun and games with your FFF and bias, but sometimes you just say the dumbest stuff.

Do you have a degree, or what is your standing in this world? You just shock me...maybe thats what you're trying for??

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Actually, the CPU itself is fully x86 compatible.. however, the chipset itself may or may not be fully stable.

Therefore, the proper thing to blame is actually the motherboard with the VIA chipset on it.

hmm... this should be a new post..

G

Found it! As i had suspected, it was a worm (Bymer). Hmm, maybe i should purchase a real virusscanner instead of messing around with freeware/shareware-sh*t.
But thanks anyway for the help.