Strange crashes but no restart

spacemanjupiter

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Not even sure if you can technically call it a crash. My computer randomly loses video signal. It can be sitting doing nothing, or while gaming and working on something. The monitor simply goes off as if the computer was shut down. None of the ports on the mobo or front of the case seem to have power at this point, but the lights and fans on the motherboard keep working. No event logs for crashes. The only messages I ever see are "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." or to that effect. The power supply, gpu, ram and cpu are fairly new. Few months old. This has been happening for a couple of months now, sometimes a few times a day, sometimes only once or twice a week.

I ran prime95 for a while and did the torture test, small fft which I assume tests mainly cpu. no issues after an hour. but when running the blend i couldn't get more than a few minutes through until the computer did it's thing (no video, no power on mobo ports, but lights and fans still running). I can maybe assume it's ram but maybe it's the mobo?

Full system specs would help a lot.

Otherwise, it looks like RAM issue, but to be sure perform memtest as well, not just prime95 blend. If you are using several memory sticks, try disconnecting all but a single one and try again. Repeat for each stick one by one, until you determine which one is problematic.

If they all work individually, it might be the mobo (slot) or RAM incompatibility. That's why full system specs would help.

spacemanjupiter

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
MSI 890FXA-GD65
2x8gb GSkill Ares Series F3-2133C10D-16GAB
AMD FX8350 Black Edition
ASUS Geforce GTX 980Ti Strix 6gb
Windows 10
Samsung 840 pro 256gb ssd
3TB WD drive for games
Can't remember the PSU model but I believe it's a 750w that I bought in 2016, around 130$.

I will try memtest86 tomorrow with one stick at a time and see what happens. My bios settings are default right now. Ram is at 1333mhz. Seems like less crashes with it being lowered but not sure. It was at 1600.