[SOLVED] Strange cursor lag all of a sudden when loading certain apps.

aphex500

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Hello,

So lately I've been getting this odd issue with the cursor lagging when loading applications. This doesn't happen on all apps but affects different apps on different drives. The CPU isn't under heavy load (often at 4 - 7%). This only seems to happen when opening and running the app and as soon as I close it the cursor goes back to normal. I've placed my CPU under heavy load and the issue isn't there so I believe I've ruled this out as a possible issue.

I've read that audio drivers can cause this issue and having recently purchased a HyperX Cloud 2 headset I've been wondering if this may have caused an issue. I've tried removing the headset and disabling its drivers but this issue is still there. At this stage I'm totally lost and confused as to why all of sudden this is happening. Any help would be really appreciated as it's slowly driving me insane....

Specs:

I7 9700k @4.0
GTX 1070
16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming 2.0 Optane intel
Samsung 980 evo 500gb
Crucial 120gb SSD
OCZ ZX Series 850w PSU

Thank you.

Edit

I've now tried three different mice all with the same issue confirming it's not the mouse. I've also tried disabling all my audio drivers, checking the health of all the drives which are fine. Things I've also tried from recommendations is turning fast boot off and updating all drivers. I'm totally clueless here...

Last edited:
Solution
Ended up doing a hard reset and the issue went away. Just in case someone decides to chime in which would be a waste. Never got the core cause unfortunately.

aphex500

Honorable
May 28, 2013
and what is the app?
check ram/ssd usage during the issue?

Hi rgd1101,

Thank you for taking time to respond.

The apps so far that are affected are ClientSettingsEditor, Dolby Access and Kovaak's Aim Trainer. I also get cursor lag when loading games. Strange thing is that I use these games/apps daily for months, some even years, and they were all fine until now. I'll try testing more and see what else seems to be affected and report back. It can even happen when simply opening a folder. It will be somewhat laggy then go back to normal, but if I hover over File or click it then it will become laggy again. I tried moving these games/apps to different drives but the problem persists.

I've just monitored my Samsung when the issue is active and it's sitting at 1% usage and 0% active time. I don't see any obvious indicators at this time. This is when opening the folder just to get the issue going. Ram isn't affected at all and doesn't appear to be having any issue that I can see.

Every time I try and search this issue it always seems to come back to audio drivers which would make sense considering I just got the HyperX Cloud 2, but even removing the headset and dongle, disabling and removing the drivers has no affect on this issue.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks again! :)

Edit Attempted to record the issue but for some reason the cursor looks fine in the recording. This has really thrown me off.

Last edited:

aphex500

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Ended up doing a hard reset and the issue went away. Just in case someone decides to chime in which would be a waste. Never got the core cause unfortunately.

Solution