Question Strange "Display Crashing Pc" loop after upgrading from an AMD Ryzen 5 2600x to an AMD Ryzen 9 5950x on the x470 Gaming Plus

Sep 19, 2024
Hey all,
So as of a few days go I picked up an AMD Ryzen 5950x off amazon as it as discounted.
I had a friend around who was more versed in pc part installation around to help me out in the process, it came with a couple bent pins however they were re-aligned and now the CPU fits and the PC "works".

This morning I updated my BIOS via M-Flash on the x470 Gaming Plus, to the "7B79vAL" version as recommended by MSI on their website, as it is the most recent version that is supported on my motherboard, but also isn't in beta. Source - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X470-GAMING-PLUS/support#cpu
After installing the new CPU and booting the pc after resetting CMOS, entering BIOS and changing the mhz of my memory to 3200mhz from 2333mhz which was the default I exited to windows.
During this time the display to my main monitor cut, after which it began searching between HDMI1, HDMI 2 and eventually back to DP and the screen came back.
I was greeted by the MSI loading screen, it cut again. HDMI 1, HDMI 2 back to DP. and then I got to the Windows sign in page.
After logging in it cut again, HDMI 1, you get the gist.

After it cut the third and final time all my peripherals turned off, however the pc was still running and all RGB, lights and components seemed to have power.
This process of the display cutting and cycling through the display options has happened EVERY time I have booted the PC, without fail.
I have booted the PC with my old CPU since and it works just fine.

I have tried a couple things suggested online, below are all the things I've tried;
Removing RAM as I had previously had 4 sticks of DDR4 8GB ram. Two being 3200mhz and two being 3000mhz, taking out the 3000mhz and setting the mhz in bios to 3200.
Changing the Windows OS configuration to CSM instead of UEFI.
Trying the two most recent beta versions for the x470 gaming plus on the MSI website, namely the 7B79vAM4(Beta version) and the 7B79vAM1(Beta version)

No one I have found online has had this issue apart from one person who had a similar problem. However, their fix did not work for me: https://community.amd.com/t5/pc-pro...r-cpu-upgrade-from-3900x-to-5950x/td-p/539125

Any suggestions are appreciated as not only am I losing my mind but id also like to return the CPU if I cant get it working. Thanks.

Hardware:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x (Hopefully soon to be Ryzen 9 5950x)
CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro H100x
Motherboard: MSI x470 Gaming Plus
Ram: 2x8 8gb 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance (2x8 8gb 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance currently removed.)
SSD: 240GB WD Green Sata (Containing the windows boot)
HDD: Some 1TB Hard Drive not 100% sure which sorry
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700xt
PSU: Corsair RM 80plus Gold
Chassis: Corsair carbide spec-05
Monitor: ACER Nitro 240hz 1920x1080

noXLar

Distinguished
May 12, 2017
hey! in case this solves it. something, i snapped up from watching hardware unboxed you tube channel.. when you change cpu generations new or older, cpus that only have 1 CCD is all compatible.. you can swap them back and forth as you wish, but not with 2 CCD. cpus with 2 CCD is also compatible, but ONLY if you reinstall windows11.. has something to do with scheduler in windows..

best of luck.. hope it helps

nox

i copyed and pased this from another dude that explained it..

"So with that said, with a cpu like 5600X uses 1 CCD, just that two cores are disabled. A 5700/5800(X) is 1 CCD with all 8 cores. A 5900X is 2 CCDs with 2 cores disabled in each. A 5950X is 2 CCDs with all 8 cores. AMD did it this way to simplify manufacturing costs."

did you do a bios reset after updating the bios?
or at least enter bios and load system defaults ,usually F5 save and exit usually F10.
Let it reboot, give it time to retrain memory to the new memory controller.
once it boots enter bios and set XMP ,EXPO for memory. save and exit.
Now boot to windows.