Strange driver related issue in GTA V?

torveo

Honorable
Mar 8, 2017
So for a while now, GTA V has been locking up after anywhere from 40-120 minutes of playtime. It'll just freeze, and if click anywhere windows will throw its usual "GTAV.exe has stopped responding" dialogue. I originally thought this was an issue with the game itself(Might still be). But after checking out event viewer, I noticed that at the time of the crashes there is always some entries related to nvlddmkm. There is always four happening all at the time of the crash, and then one warning about how the display driver stopped responding and has recovered behind them all. (See actual logs below)

Now this is where it gets a little bit strange. Although I get that message about the display driver in the event viewer, my screen does not go black, or any weird color at the time of the crash. Nothing is frozen except the game, and I don't get the notification saying that the display driver stopped responding and recovered. I even tried opening Microsoft flight simulator on my second screen while playing GTA V to see what would happen to it. Sure enough, GTA V locks up, but Microsoft flight simulator continues to run perfectly fine, no stutter at the time of the lockup, smooth as can be. This is what makes my issue different from all the other ones I've seen in my countless hours of searching.

All my drivers are up to date, and I just reinstalled the graphics drivers completely using DDU. Ive tried restoring all my overclocks to stock, and temps are fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm pulling my hair out with this one over all the money I've lost in GTA Online.

Specs are:
Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.7GHz
GTX 1070
16 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
Samsung 850 EVO
Two WD 1TB drives.

Log Name: System
Source: nvlddmkm
Date: 29/12/2018 1:31:21 AM
Event ID: 13
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: FX-970-Elite
Description:
The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
Graphics Exception: EXTRA_MACRO_DATA

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table.

Date: 29/12/2018 1:31:21 AM
Description:
The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

\Device\Video3
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x404490=0x80000002

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table.

Date: 29/12/2018 1:31:22 AM
Description:

\Device\Video3
Graphics Exception: MISSING_MACRO_DATA

Date: 29/12/2018 1:31:22 AM
Description:

\Device\Video3
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x404490=0x80000001

and finally, after all of those

Source: Display
Date: 29/12/2018 1:31:26 AM
Event ID: 4101
Level: Warning
Description:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

torveo

Honorable
Mar 8, 2017

I did, that's actually one of the first things I tried. Im going to try underclocking it by about 100 MHz now and see if that makes any difference.