Question Strange dynamic horizontal line interference on ViewSonic VX2728J-2k

Oct 10, 2024
Hello! I recently purchased a ViewSonic VX2728J-2k, and I'm experiencing a strange sort of interference. Depending on what's on the screen a bright dithered pattern will appear across the entire horizontal axis of the monitor, even going over the on-screen display. It's most prominent with a dithered 1x1 pixel pattern, like in the image below.
ehn3OVk.png

I've ran this monitor in all the modes you can, it appears regardless if the refresh rate is set to 60hz or 180hz, 8 bit color or 10 bit color, DisplayPort and HDMI. I'm pretty sure this is an issue with the monitor, I have a second monitor that doesn't do this, and none of my other monitors in the past did it. Is this just a defect with my specific individual monitor or is this just a quirk with this model? Does this effect have a name? Knowing if it's just a faulty monitor or a quirk of the model is the difference between sending this in for an RMA or just getting a refund.

Incidentally, if this is just a quirk of this model, does anyone have any recommendations for a 27 inch 1440p 10 bit monitor with wide color gamut that doesn't do this and doesn't break the bank? :)

check ViewSonic forums, customer reviews from multiple popular retail sites, and regular web searches for similar reports.

if nothing shows similar faults it would likely be damage or an unknown fault with this single display.

if multiple reports of similar faults appear,
request immediate refund from the retailer.

if yours appears to be a single instance,
first try RMA from the manufacturer.
if issue persists after replacement, then request refund.