[SOLVED] Strange electric shock through headphones(?)

STARWOLF760

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
Hi i moved to a new apartment with laminate floor and something very strange is starting to happen (?):

if I move my shoes against the floor to reposition my chair, i can hear or feel a little electric shock in my ear through the headphones and its really very annoying
(if i do the exact same movement while touching my metallic keyboard or the case of my PC, nothing happens)

is a problem with my current setup? is a outlet thing? a grounding problem? what i can do to fix this problem?

Edit: Maybe is a problem with the headphones (?)

Thanks Guys!

Solution
sounds like you are building up a charge and grounding through the headphones.
path of least resistance
"(if i do the exact same movement while touching my metallic keyboard or the case of my PC, nothing happens) "
in that scenario the ground is through the keyboard, least resistance.
when not touching grounded metal the charge must build up until it can arc from your ear to the headphones

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
path of least resistance
"(if i do the exact same movement while touching my metallic keyboard or the case of my PC, nothing happens) "
when not touching grounded metal the charge must build up until it can arc from your ear to the headphones

Solution

STARWOLF760

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
path of least resistance

What i can do to fix this problem? In my old apartment it didn't happen, Thanks for the answer

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I would go to the hardware store and get yourself a piece of vinyl flooring. sheet vinyl flooring is less static prone than laminate. laminate flooring is coated in minerals that make it prone to static buildup, titanium dioxide IIRC. it is also why it sparks when you cut it.
make a chairmat of vinyl sheeting. you can use double sided tape if needed to secure the corners.
the sheeting will act as an insulator keeping static from building up.