Strange EMI noise on Monitor after overclocking GPU and CPU

topastro

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017
I recently tried the Gaming boost option in the MSI Command Center, for a very short time. At the same time i overclocked my graphics card a bit too quick (went up to +200 core clock) and too much and the game i was running froze (i was checking the temperatures while running pubg).
Everything seems to be working fine after reseting the overclocks however I noticed how my Monitor makes a buzzing constant noise (it seems to be an EMI) when i start any games or do anything that makes the gpu work. I tried turning down the graphics on my game and the sound seems to be correlated to the gpu work load. This sound doesnt go away when muting the sound. I am currently using an audio jack together with the dvi-d for my monitor.

I first thought it had something to do with the increased voltage caused by the gaming boost option. However reseting the default settings didn't change anything. Changing the audio jack port seemed to reduce the noise even when having my gpu working at a high load. After changing that the sound is so quiet that it doesnt really bother me however since I am a novice on Hardware i was wondering if this issue could be causing damage to my computer.

My temperatures are completely fine on the motherboard/gpu/cpu and i checked with multiple programms. Could i have broken something on the motherboard by changing the voltage with the Gaming boost setting? or did something on my gpu break and is now interfering with my motherboard audio ports?

My specs are as follows: intel core I5-7600k
Msi Geforce gtx1070 8g armor oc
Msi z270 Gaming M3
If you need any more infos let me know its my first time making a thread about pc related stuff :)
Thank you so much.

EDIT: I tried to start a game of cs:go and the noise was pretty loud even tho the gpu wasnt very loaded. Somehow it seems to correlate more with fps than anything

2.EDIT: i tried some more stuff

after reading alot of different forums it turns out my monitor volume was set at 100 and turning it down affected the sound and made it almost non-existent at 60%.
Also i plugged in my headset (hyperx cloud2) into the same audio jack and i heard no noise. it seems to be an insulation problem with my cable. Its a bit strange how it happened now that i tried to overclock my pc since i didnt have that issue until then.
i will try to get some other cable asap to see if its just a problem with that one.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Are you sure it's not the GPU coil whine or from the PSU?

What happens it you connect the audio device to the motherboard output? Have you tried it? The same result?

If it's coming through audio devices (speakers/headsets), unplug them and see it you continue to hear it. If audio devices unplugged and sound is still present, it's probably coil whine or something like that.

If you unplug audio device and it stops probably some sort of noise picked up by the onboard audio/sound hardware.

Also if you have a headset with a microphone go into playback settings and disable microphone boost or decrease it to 0.0 dB.

topastro

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017
Are you sure it's not the GPU coil whine or from the PSU?
Well as far as i know coil whine should not be coming from the monitor speakers but the pc case right?

What happens it you connect the audio device to the motherboard output? Have you tried it? The same result?
i think that already is the case. i am using the motherboard jacks and the noise seems to be different depending on what jack i put the cable in. It increases with gpu load however.

If it's coming through audio devices (speakers/headsets), unplug them and see it you continue to hear it. If audio devices unplugged and sound is still present, it's probably coil whine or something like that.

If you unplug audio device and it stops probably some sort of noise picked up by the onboard audio/sound hardware.
It does stop when i unplug the audio cable. Is there a way to fix the hardware? could it have been damaged by the overclocking/high voltage/gpu freeze?

Also if you have a headset with a microphone go into playback settings and disable microphone boost or decrease it to 0.0 dB.

Unplugging my headset had no effect on the issue and the headset (usb) is not picking up the same interference noise

Thank you very much for the help though i appreciate it alot!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
It's hard to tell if anything is damaged without physical access and testing.

If it stops when you unplug the audio cable, as I mentioned earlier, it can be some noise the audio hardware is picking up after the DAC output. It could even be EMI from the GPU as you say GPU loads like gaming have an impact on this.

Try connecting the monitor power cable (any other possible audio device like speakers) to another electric outlet than the computers and see if it changes.

topastro

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017
I mentioned it in my edit, but playing csgo which didnt put my gpu on a high load made alot of noise with the fps beeing at 200+ so im starting to think it may not be the gpus fault

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That's exactly the point PCIE transmits data near the audio hardware bits of the motherboard. PCIE power and data traces are close to the audio traces and EMI can transfer between them.

That's to some extent why manufacturers advertise shielded audio hardware and separation on PCB as a plus on of some mid-range and high end motherboards as a plus .

It's possible that more activity and heavier load (not necessarily voltage related) in terms of higher frame rates caused more noise.

And it's basically not the GPU's fault and hasn't been. It's the audio bits that picking up the noise not the other way round.

topastro

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017

i tried some more stuff
after reading alot of different forums it turns out my monitor volume was set at 100 and turning it down affected the sound and made it almost non-existent at 60%.
Also i plugged in my headset (hyperx cloud2) into the same audio jack and i heard no noise. it seems to be an insulation problem with my cable. Its a bit strange how it happened now that i tried to overclock my pc since i didnt have that issue until then.
i will try to get some other cable asap to see if its just a problem with that one.