Question Strange fan problem on 2080 super

Jimbob1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2013
Recently I've been having trouble with the fans of my 2080 super going to 100% randomly for a few seconds, now it dosen't happen when it get's to a certain temperature as when my GPU is under full load it dosen't pass 77 degrees, so it's not like the fans are kicking in at a certain point. So, I uninstalled Aorus engine, then I set my target temperature to 65 degrees from 84, and the issue has gone now when I put it back to 84, that's when the issue happens.

Why would changing the target temeprature to 65 stop the 100% fan usage?

Ralston18

Titan
No immediate answer - more information needed.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

However, if I follow events correctly the 65 temperature would start cooling the GPU sooner rather than later.

Using 84 means that the temperatures get much higher and then the system is suddenly playing "catch-up" to try to cool things down again. Takes full 100% "effort".

And if there are any uncertainties with respect to temperature sensors, sensitivity, and tolerances and so forth then the numbers and/or fan responses could be skewed a bit.

Just leave the temperature at 65. Suddenly heating up and then cooling down is not good for electronics.

Jimbob1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2013
No immediate answer - more information needed.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

However, if I follow events correctly the 65 temperature would start cooling the GPU sooner rather than later.

Using 84 means that the temperatures get much higher and then the system is suddenly playing "catch-up" to try to cool things down again. Takes full 100% "effort".

And if there are any uncertainties with respect to temperature sensors, sensitivity, and tolerances and so forth then the numbers and/or fan responses could be skewed a bit.

Just leave the temperature at 65. Suddenly heating up and then cooling down is not good for electronics.
Corsair RM 850W, I've had the PC for a year. I play heavy games in 2k. And I know what you mean, ever since I've switched it to 65, I've got no spiking of 100% usage of the triple GPU fans.