Strange file called "~" trying to be created

Ever since I installed service pack 1 I've had a strange thing
happening with my system. Occassionally, at random times, my system
creates a large file with the name " ~ ". Its put in a subfolder to
"documents and settings", a desktop icon with the ~ file name appears
and the file appears to be a binary version of my address book. I
suspect there's an attempt to secretly send it across the internet but
the actual transmission is being blocked by Zone Alarm. Is anybody
familiar with this problem and knows what's going on?

You're way behind times. This is a bug in the April 2003 Cumulative
Patch. It is basically a backup of your address book. MS is aware of
it and at some time will provide a fix for it. You can safely delete
it. {Fixed in XP SP2}.