Question Strange file names

bwallx

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
"examplefile(2018_09_07 17_31_04 UTC).mp3"

Why do I find my various drives full of files with the date appended? I never saved them like that.

Win 10 1809

COLGeek

Cybernaut
How many such files are you talking about? When you open one, what happens? These are likely music files, or some sort (possibly back up files), game session recordings, etc. Could also be something eavesdropping and recording. Have you scanned for malware recently?

Yes, the time stamp is inserted in the file by File History, the type of file is irrelevant; it doesn't change the file, it just adds a date and time in the file name. File History saves personal files, and .mp3 files, along with documents, music files, video files, pictures, any file that was placed on the computer hard drive by the owner.. When the files are restored by File History, the time stamp is removed, but if the file(s) are taken out of File History database, the folder where the files are stored, the time stamp remains.

bwallx

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
Aha! Thanks. The reason I see these is because I use a utility called "Search Everything" which literally does list every single file on a disk! Extremely useful for tracking stuff down. It works instantly. Literally within a split second. I have five drives and it lists their contents in a flash. Obviously it bypasses the normal MS routines. But why don't MS also do this? It would be so much quicker than clunk NTFS listings!