Strange floating specks on infrared camera

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikaselm

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Hello, I have recently set up a camera on my front porch, set to view the driveway and any (dropped, banged, kicked, smashed) package deliveries. The Camera is under a roof and protected from weather. Tonight, it is 14 degrees f and there is no snow or rain or anything like that. The camera uses near infrared led's for night vision. When viewing in the dark (the effect stops if I turn on the porch light) I can see little specks floating upward across the camera image. When watching, it looks like gnats or fruit flies flying close to the camera, but it's far too cold out for bugs. The specks always move in generally upward motion, sometimes zigzagging or curving across the screen. I also thought that it looked a bit as though there were a fire under the camera and we were seeing floating embers, but of course there's no fires on my porch!! Standing on the porch I can't see any kind of floating specs, there's no dogwood trees shedding bits of fluff or anything... We've observed these little "floaters" every night, any time that the camera is using the IR for illumination. The specks are blurry and appear to be very close to the camera lens. I tried to google this but just got a bunch of ghosty paranormal nonsense, and I wasn't able to find a video that looked like mine do. Does anyone have and idea what I'm seeing? Is it a video artifact? Thank you!!

Solution

usironhd

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016
I purchased several cameras from ShoppingCCTV on EBay. These cameras are really from Great Wall Security and are model GW400WHD. They have 72 IR emitters and do produce an image well over 100 ft from the camera in full darkness. During daylight operation, they are really good. BUT, once in full IR mode, they produce the flying spots referenced in these posts. Great Wall Security has been great at trying to give me an answer to the problem. Over more than 9 months I've sent them videos of the cameras in many situations. I've taken the cameras and placed them inside a dusty attic...and the IR is perfect...no flying spots....using the same line as used to connect the camera when it is outside. Take that same camera and move it outside, when it is dry, when it is raining, when it is cold, when it is warm....it doesn't matter; the spots reappear. These cameras simply are not of high enough quality to not have the floating spots. I don't believe it is pollen, etc. All those other potential influencers won't result in spots going horizontally, vertically or spiraling.....and all of these happen.
Now I will give Great Wall Security kudos since they sent me two additional cameras during the testing I've done hoping that they would function properly. Unfortunately, both functioned worse than any of the three I already had.
Bottom line, they have no idea how to fix the problem. I am returning all 5 cameras I now have for a full refund. They said they contacted the actual manufacturer in China and sent them the videos I shot of the recorded images. Personally, I think they know these cameras can't produce good IR images but don't want to own up to the quality problem. They are advertised as having the cut filters in them to reduce this problem as noted by one other poster to this thread. I think the bottom line is to go buy some solid quality cameras that will function properly and dump this cheap product. Most certainly there are other cameras out there that function as needed....just check out cameras at car dealerships for ones that don't have streaks and floating spots.
If anyone has found good long distance IR cameras, please post what you've found and where. The model I've noted above just hasn't worked after extensive testing over a number of months....I guess, "buyer beware" applies....................

Gretchen Saad

Commendable
May 14, 2016

Gretchen Saad

Commendable
May 14, 2016
You are the only one who got this puzzle correct. It is indeed geoengineering fallout. It is true that insects are attracted to infrared, but we are talking about billions to trillions of particulate artifacts. These can be seen late at night through about 3:00 am. Probably in an attempt to hide what they are doing. This has absolutely nothing to do with SRM (solar radiation management). It is about controlling the weather, which would lead to control of our water and our food, leading to bankrupting the state (ala fake California drought). Last night I took some horrific videos of this fallout. It was ridiculously thick. There is no way we can survive this. Anyone who is athletic and is training outside is in extreme danger. Children should be kept in on high spray days. If they go out, they should wear a face mask suitable for nanoparticulates. If you do not have an infrared camera, you can see this air crap by taking a powerful flashlight outside and pointing it straight up in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.