Question Strange Floppy Interface Connecotr

Myronazz

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Heyo...

I've salvaged a floppy disk drive from one of my olddddd laptops (1994) and I want to connect the drive to my main computer for future use, however the drive has a strange connector...

Is this a micro version of IDE or something? Looking it up on the web returns nothing... And I also assume there is no USB adapter for this? I realize I could get a USB floppy drive but uh... that's kinda boring if im honest, much more interesting to get that working, if possible

RealBeast

Titan
It looks similar to the 17mm connector used on the IBM Thinkpad (you can see both ends HERE second pair of pictures down on the right side).

Apparently, Apple and Toshiba used a similar 17mm connector, but they were all incompatible due to pinout variations.

Myronazz

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Hmmm, I don't think that's it, this is an internal drive, I sure hope this isn't a proprietary connector, though if it still uses IDE channels, couldn't I theoretically take it apart and solder jump wires to a normal IDE ribbon? I guess it's not all that difficult to make a proprietary shaped connector, but I don't think it has a special proprietary interfarce or anything?

If you want/need a floppy drive, buy a USB external variant for $5-$12....

I'd skip the assorted adapters and trying to use one worth 50 cents from some old laptop, etc..

A lot of actual floppy media, even if new, is now potentially corroded/rusting anyway...

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS