[SOLVED] Strange GPU and memory clock behavior on Precision X1

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsoyo

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
I recently performed my first overclock ever by using EVGA Precision X1 to overclock my EVGA 980ti SC. I started by maxing the power slider and voltage slider. Then with Unigen Heaven running, I increased the GPU clock by 10MHz at a time until it became unstable. I did the same thing with the memory clock. Currently I'm running these numbers for a stable modded Skyrim LE:

• Power target: 110%
  • GPU temp target: 91C
  • GPU clock offset: +141MHz
  • Memory clock offset: +296MHz
  • Voltage: +100mV
  • GPU boost clock: 1470MHz
  • Memory clock: 7600Mhz
Before overclocking, PX1 was showing a boost clock of 1329MHz and memory clock of 6610MHz.

What I'm seeing sometimes is the memory won't clock higher than 6610 but the GPU will run at 1470 like I want it to. I have to restart the computer for the memory to run at 7600 again.

Then sometimes even though there's nothing running, the GPU and memory won't clock down to their idle speeds of 135MHz and 405MHz respectively. They'll stay at their base clocks of 1102 and 6610. That requires a restart also. So far I've tried setting the global power management under 3D settings from optimal to adaptive but that didn't change anything. I'm running a custom watercooled loop and GPU temps have never gotten above 50C. Anyone know what's going on?

adsoyo

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
I have the program set to open with windows. I checked the box to load previous settings. I leave it open at all times to monitor temps and clocks, that's where I'm getting this data. This doesn't strike me as a PX1 issue, it feels more like a driver issue or Windows issue etc.

Nov 14, 2019
I have the program set to open with windows. I checked the box to load previous settings. I leave it open at all times to monitor temps and clocks, that's where I'm getting this data. This doesn't strike me as a PX1 issue, it feels more like a driver issue or Windows issue etc.
try msi afterburner

Reactions: Jason H.

adsoyo

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Just to give this some closure: MSI Afterburner is the way to go. Settings are saved and every time Windows starts, they are applied.

I recently performed my first overclock ever by using EVGA Precision X1 to overclock my EVGA 980ti SC. I started by maxing the power slider and voltage slider. Then with Unigen Heaven running, I increased the GPU clock by 10MHz at a time until it became unstable. I did the same thing with the memory clock. Currently I'm running these numbers for a stable modded Skyrim LE:

• Power target: 110%
  • GPU temp target: 91C
  • GPU clock offset: +141MHz
  • Memory clock offset: +296MHz
  • Voltage: +100mV
  • GPU boost clock: 1470MHz
  • Memory clock: 7600Mhz
Before overclocking, PX1 was showing a boost clock of 1329MHz and memory clock of 6610MHz.

What I'm seeing sometimes is the memory won't clock higher than 6610 but the GPU will run at 1470 like I want it to. I have to restart the computer for the memory to run at 7600 again.

Then sometimes even though there's nothing running, the GPU and memory won't clock down to their idle speeds of 135MHz and 405MHz respectively. They'll stay at their base clocks of 1102 and 6610. That requires a restart also. So far I've tried setting the global power management under 3D settings from optimal to adaptive but that didn't change anything. I'm running a custom watercooled loop and GPU temps have never gotten above 50C. Anyone know what's going on?

7 words.

Afterburner.

Status
Not open for further replies.