Question Strange GPU black screen issue.

Oct 1, 2023
Hello everybody,

A few days ago my computer started showing this strange behavior where randomly it would display a black screen, the GPU fans would go WILD (100%) and the system kept running for a while before hanging for good. Over the days this has become more frequent. I am sure it is NOT a driver issue as I dual boot Windows 10 / Hackintosh, and it even happens outside any OS (before POST, or sometimes the computer won´t ever turn on). The issue is that it is ...random. I can´t replicate the problem on purpose. So far I have:

• Reseated the gpu
  • Reconnected the cables
  • Cleaned it
  • Ran Prime95, Furmark, OCTT, Memtest - only crash was AFTER Furmark GPU test, but i´ve tried replicating the by running it twice more and it was stable. Oh, OCTT also reported a error on my CPUs core # 3.
  • Reseated the memory
  • ran the system with both 1 and 2 sticks connected.
  • Checked voltages with HwInfo64 and 12v, 5v and 3v voltages seem ok and stable.
  • Temps are fine (76 degree Celsius max when running OCTT ; GPU got 77 degree / 76 ´junction´ / 95 hotspot)

The issues happens both when idle and when watching random videos (haven´t been gaming the past two weeks, so I can´t say gaming has any effect on this).

My config is:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B360 Gaming HD
Processor: I7 9700
GPU: Gigabyte RX6800
PS: Corsair Rm750x

I am running everything stock, no OC or any mod.

Dying GPU? CPU? Any other thing I should try to see if I can reproduce the error?

Appreciate in advance any help.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build?

BIOS version for the motherboard? Try and reinstall the GPU drivers, after using DDU to remove all drivers from your platform, then manually install the latest GPU driver sourced from AMD's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Oct 1, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build?

BIOS version for the motherboard? Try and reinstall the GPU drivers, after using DDU to remove all drivers from your platform, then manually install the latest GPU driver sourced from AMD's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
How old is the PSU? 1 year ish.

Bios version? Latest available

As far as reinstalling the GPU drivers advice, the issue isn't driver related as it happens even inside the bios (I just tried powering it on and the issue happened just after I turned the computer on)
So it is a hardware issue.

I spent the afternoon trying to troubleshoot it on an acquaintance's repair shop but he didn't have a psu powerful enough to feed the gpu... But we ran the computer with the igpu and it didn't crash. So either 1) the gpu is the issue 2) the lack of the gpu drawing power or things going through the pcie bus make the computer more stable.

I'm having a hard time finding someone with a capable system to test the parts. So, any tips on testing and figuring out the issue?

TRENDING THREADS