randomcl

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
My video card is a 7900GS. I built my current PC about 3.5 years ago, and had no problems up until about 6 months ago. My video card fan started having issues. The card itself is completely clean, with no obstruction for the fan. About 6 months ago, it stopped spinning periodically. Sometimes I will go 3-4 days without it stopping spinning, and other days, I can't get it to come on at all. I checked all connections literally dozens of times, and found nothing wrong. Smacking the back of the video card generally gets it to kick start (obviously, not the best solution :non: ) but it fixes it temporarily.

However, recently, that has not been working as effectively. On top of that, even when it does spin, the idle and load temperatures are very random. It usually idles at 48 degrees Celsius, but for example, today, it is idling at 68 degrees Celsius. It usually varies from 50-60 degrees C. Also, when I crank the card up to full load (when the fan is spinning), and then turn off the program/game, the temperature drops to a strange temperature (if the idle was 50, load was 80, it will now idle at 65 or 70, and won't go down).

Obviously, something is very wrong.

The only change I have made to the PC since I built it was adding more RAM, a few fans, and replacing the motherboard about a gear ago. No other problems have occurred. All other temperatures are around 27-30 degrees Celsius, so the system is receiving plenty of airflow.

My question: how do I determine what the problem is? Could it possible be the power supply? Motherboard? Or is it definitely the video card?

I don't have the money to replace multiple parts and trial & error the system. I also don't have a spare video card to test (to ensure it is just the video card).

I was hoping the expertise of the board may assist me. All signs seem to point to the video card going bad, but as I said, I need to know for sure. Any advice?

fpsdominator

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
It sounds like the fan for the video card is dying.
But the video card itself is fine.
If you give me the exact brand and model of the card you have, I can assist you in replacing it.
I had an old 7300GS, and the fan did exactly what yours is doing. so I took the fan that is in the heat sink out, and screwed a 50mm case fan on top of the heatsink.
It ran cooler than it did when it was new lol

You can try to disassemble the fan and use WD40 before putting it back together. So long the coil in the motor is still good it will continue to work. If you just want to go with a more simple approach a new card wouldn't be to bad of a choice. personally I would just try to fix it before having to spend a dime.

randomcl

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

I am unsure as to the exactly model; it is an XFX card, though.

One more thing I forgot to mention, which lead me to believe it may be the motherboard (possibly):

When I leave the PC on for extended times, the amount of times the fan stops spinning constantly increases. When I turn the PC off for a few minutes, and then start it up again, the fan almost always runs perfectly.

The reason I mention this is because my last motherboard went bad in a similar manner: it would work flawlessly, but if I turned the PC off, it would not boot at all. I had to leave it off for 20-30 minutes and then it would work perfectly. This blocked me from reformatting, do any important updates, etc., so I replaced it.

The two problems aren't the same, but seem similar. As I said, I am just afraid of replacing one part and needing something else.

The card spins perfectly fine manually; almost like brand new.

I considered attaching a fan myself, but all I have are 80mm case fans at the moment.