[SOLVED] Strange graphics card issues after switching case

Sep 29, 2020
I recently changed my case and since then I have been having issues with my graphics card...specifically that after the boot screen I get a 'No signal' message on my TV. I have an RTX 2070 Super. I tried uninstalling the drivers and then I could boot into windows on integrated graphics...but as soon as the drivers install it goes back to no signal.

I tried installing an old card (GTX 660) and it worked fine so I figured my 2070 was just broke. But then I remember I had a GTX 1060 in the cupboard and after installing that...I get the same behaviour as the 2070.

Can anybody suggest what may be wrong?

System:
i5 7600k
RTX 2070 Super
16GB DDR4 Ram
be quiet straight 11 750kw PSU

Edit: I should add that I can remote onto my machine and it seems to think everything is fine, drivers are up to date and the card is installed properly...it just won't show a picture.

Last edited:
Solution
Don't be so sure. Updating the BIOS can OFTEN force a refresh of the hardware tables, and fix issues that you wouldn't think it would. Another thing you can try is doing a hard reset of the BIOS, and it would also be a good idea to test the CMOS battery with a volt meter. If it is less than 3v, at all, replace it.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up...
Did you reconnect the auxiliary power to the card?

Have you tried a different HDMI or DP output on the card? Different cable?

Tried to boot to the BIOS with the card OUT and the display connected to the motherboard output, then shut down, reinstall the card (And it IS important that the card be OUT of the motherboard, not just unplugged, when you boot to the BIOS using the integrated graphics so that the system will reset the hardware tables in regard to the graphics card) and then try to POST with the card installed and plugged in to display and power?

What motherboard do you have and have you checked to see if you have the most recent BIOS version? I realize it worked before, but if there is a more recent BIOS version available it still might correct the issues you are having.

Is the 2070 working, with onscreen display, for BIOS etc., up to the point where it tries to boot into Windows or does it not display AT ALL with that card installed?

How old is your straight power 11?

Sep 29, 2020
Hi Darkbreeze,

Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah power has been reconnected.

With the HDMI connected to the 2070 (and the 1060) the BIOS is displayed...but after the BIOS screen it then shows no signal. For this reason I am confident there is no issue with the cable or port...also it fully works using the 660 with the exact same setup.

My straight power 11 is brand new. When I first encountered this problem I thought it may be an issue with my PSU...and since I was already planning on getting a quieter PSU I figured I'd just get it now hoping it might solve the issue, but it hasn't.

I have a Z270 GAMING M3 motherboard, I'll take a look into the BIOS version and try booting up with the card removed and reinstalling as you suggest and see if I have any luck.

Thanks again

Sep 29, 2020
Did you reconnect the auxiliary power to the card?

Have you tried a different HDMI or DP output on the card? Different cable?

Tried to boot to the BIOS with the card OUT and the display connected to the motherboard output, then shut down, reinstall the card (And it IS important that the card be OUT of the motherboard, not just unplugged, when you boot to the BIOS using the integrated graphics so that the system will reset the hardware tables in regard to the graphics card) and then try to POST with the card installed and plugged in to display and power?

What motherboard do you have and have you checked to see if you have the most recent BIOS version? I realize it worked before, but if there is a more recent BIOS version available it still might correct the issues you are having.

Is the 2070 working, with onscreen display, for BIOS etc., up to the point where it tries to boot into Windows or does it not display AT ALL with that card installed?

How old is your straight power 11?

So I tried booting with the card out then installing it again and it didn't help. I can't find a usb stick to update the bios at the moment so I'll try that tomorrow. As you say though, since this has previously worked with the current bios, I don't hold much hope for it fixing the problem.

Don't be so sure. Updating the BIOS can OFTEN force a refresh of the hardware tables, and fix issues that you wouldn't think it would. Another thing you can try is doing a hard reset of the BIOS, and it would also be a good idea to test the CMOS battery with a volt meter. If it is less than 3v, at all, replace it.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.

Since the display works for the BIOS but not for Windows, I suspect that it is a driver or power supply issue.

Are you using a power strip to plug the PSU into, rather than directly into the wall socket? If so, eliminate the power strip and plug the PSU directly into the wall.

Try booting into safe mode by rapid fire spamming the F8 key as soon as you power on the unit until you see the prompt for safe mode, then enter in safe mode and try to reinstall the graphics driver if you still have a copy of the driver installer on an attached drive. If not, then download the latest driver onto a flash drive and install from that if you are able to get into Windows in safe mode.

Solution