Strange graphics problems

sheepfu

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
New to the forum, hoping that somebody can help.

I just built a system upgrading many components but carrying some old ones over. My specs are as follows:

MSI NF980-G65 mother board
AMD Phenom II 955 X4 Black
6 GB Kingston DDR 3
Two PNY 7600GT in SLI
700 Watt Power Supply
Windows 7 64bit full release

This was a clean install on a blank hard drive. For the most part, the system runs smoothly with a few exceptions. If trying to run dual monitor the second monitor has random issues in displaying items properly, certain sections of the monitor flash. When using a second monitor this occurs only on the second monitor and happen if Aero is running or not. If I disconnect the second monitor, then monitor one has issues if Aero is running, however if turned off, runs smoothly. The only game that I have installed so far is FSX which stutters. It says its running around 20-25 FPS and then stalls and starts again.

Here is what I have tried. I have disabled SLI Hybrid in the bios as well as turning off the onboard video all together. I have tried running just off of the onboard video (best results) cards still installed but not used. I have tried using the Nvidia newest graphics drivers, the Beta drivers, and the three latest archived drivers.

I have not made any adjustments to the BIOS other than changing the on board video configuration and boot order. The only other symptom that may be related is that both IE and Firefox are unusually slow.

Any suggestions or thoughts are appriciated.

Thanks,

Branton Turner

sheepfu

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
FIXED!!

This turns out to be my problem. This MSI board does not like 3 memory slots to be used when running a 64 bit operating system. Removing one or two sticks provided a complete fix to the problem. For whatever reason the board must run dual channel or only have one stick installed. Go figure.

ulysses35

Distinguished
FSX is notorious for demanding a lot of processing power... the more cores you have the better.

Memory lots on all motherboards are designed to run Dual Channel - meaning you need equal amounts of RAM in the pairs of slots.

TRENDING THREADS