Strange Grey Distortion with VLC using Sony TV as display.

mc57127

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
So i've googled and cannot find anyone with this same problem.

I have 55 inch Sony TV hooked up to my video card via HDMI and whenever i watch movies/tv shows using VLC I will get an occasional grey distortion in the picture. The picture goes grey and sort of digital looking for a few seconds. It then returns to normal and stays that way for quite some time. The distortion happens anywhere from 2-5 times, depending on the length of the video. It's a small annoyance, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

Specs:

Windows 10
Core i5 @ 3.40
GTX 670 2GB (Nvidia drivers that were just released today).
Asus monitor (connected to GPU via DVI)
Sony LCD TV (connected to GPU via HDMI)

Windows settings are set to duplicate displays.

Solution
I used to use VLC media player, for years, exclusively. I noticed I was having some issues with it as well. After several version revisions, going through settings and many forum readings failed to cure my issues which included funky washed out colors and problems with viewing ratios on some video, I changed to GOM player and have not had any of those issues since.

It's worth a try and if it doesn't help your issue, at least you'll know the problem isn't with VLC. I personally like the GOM player a bit better and am unlikely to return to VLC anytime soon.

http://player.gomlab.com/?language=eng

The other possibility is a bad HDMI or DVI cable. It's probably worth swapping that out just to elimate it as the problem if you have or...
I used to use VLC media player, for years, exclusively. I noticed I was having some issues with it as well. After several version revisions, going through settings and many forum readings failed to cure my issues which included funky washed out colors and problems with viewing ratios on some video, I changed to GOM player and have not had any of those issues since.

It's worth a try and if it doesn't help your issue, at least you'll know the problem isn't with VLC. I personally like the GOM player a bit better and am unlikely to return to VLC anytime soon.

http://player.gomlab.com/?language=eng

The other possibility is a bad HDMI or DVI cable. It's probably worth swapping that out just to elimate it as the problem if you have or have access to another cable.

Solution