Strange happenings when the AC turns off

Gcs_deV

Honorable
Feb 25, 2014
I have a portable AC unit in the same room as my pc and I've noticed that when the AC turns off, the expected power spike is causing some strange behaviour in my pc. If the computer is powered on, Windows 7 plays the "USB device disconnected" audio cue. If the pc is powered off, the LEDs in the keyboard illuminate for about a second then go off (only the keyboard, not the mouse or the case fans). The pc is connected to a fused power bar which I believe should protect it from larger spikes.
Is this unacceptable and should be rectified, and if so, how?

PSU: EVGA 600B
MB: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P/Rev 2.0

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Can you post the surge protector your PC is plugged into? Might need to get a better one.
When an induction motor (A/C compressor) turns off, there is a collapsing field around the supply wires that are on the same circuit. This produces a reverse EMF that may be "surging" as you say the power to your system.

Is there any chance of moving the power strip/surge protector to a different circuit that the A/C is on?

Gcs_deV

Honorable
Feb 25, 2014

Hi, thanks for answering!
The power bar is generic and no-name-brand I'm afraid. As for moving to a different circuit, this is a small apartment, I'd imagine there is only one circuit here, though I'm by no means an expert. The two outlets in question are in the same room, but on opposing walls for whatever that may be worth.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

You'd only know by switching off the A/C outlet at the service entrance panel and then checking if any other outlets are still live. But if you don't have a surge protector (only a simply plug strip), then that may be your answer. Besides, a surge protector is almost mandatory for electronic equipment.

Another possibility is RF interference from the induction motor. But that can be troublesome to diagnose and isolate.

Solution

Gcs_deV

Honorable
Feb 25, 2014

Thanks for the tip! It turns out the two outlets are on the same circuit but moving one of the appliances to the second circuit isn't going to work due to location (can't have either the A/C or the PC in the bathroom...).
I'm going to get a good surge protector and see if that solves the issue but, even if it doesn't, you're absolutely right that I really should have one.
Thanks for your help.