Question Strange issue with computer

Jan 24, 2021
Hi everyone i'm new on this forum. I hope i'm posting this under the right section.

I'm having a very strange issue with my gaming computer. It's quite old, from 2014, and I had to change the RAM in 2017 because it caused random BSODs.

Anyway a year back or so i wanted to plug in an old hard drive to get some old files (intern hard drive with SATA). When i tried to boot the PC, the led under the start button didn't light up, there was no display but the fans were running. I de-plugged/re-plugged a lot of things back, and it eventually worked.

From there, for the last year I've had my computer randomly shutting off at a very random rate (sometimes once every two weeks, sometimes only once a month), and when it happens and i try to reboot it : no display, fans running, and it does the same thing everytime i reboot it. From there, the strangest thing is that if i leave the computer alone from 2 to 8 hours (turned off), it'll boot up normally. Just as if it needed a "cooldown" for a few hours.
Now the problem is that the frequency is rapidly increasing to the point where it's happening once a day. It seems to occur mainly when i'm playing hardware-intensive games. It crashes on one game in particular during map loading after playing for 2-3 hours.

I've seen quite a lot of my computers having issues before and always managed to find what was wrong after a while, but I'm stumped in that case because i don't even get a BSOD to know where to start. My guess was initially that the PSU was dying but with the RAM previously dying i'm more and more suspicious about it (especially since it crashes while loading maps of all things) even though it's quite new compared to the PC. The "cooldown" thing is very, very weird i find.
My question would be the following : does anyone have an idea about what could be causing this issue ? Which component could be causing that ? It's really annoying especially since i also use my computer for work.

Thanks a lot !

Jan 24, 2021
Let's start with the complete specs of the PC, including exact PSU.

There it is (previous message). I copy pasted the order from 7 years ago. Thanks a lot!
(the ram was changed to KINGSTON 16GO DDR3 1866MHZ, and the graphics card was upgraded to an Nvidia 1060 6go)

I just downloaded a bunch of diagnostics tools and stress-tested everything (GPU PSU CPU RAM) : nothing. Only things noticeable are a weird reading on an auxiliary temp of the motherboard (120°C) which seems to be a wrong reading, and CPU temp climbing to 93°C when stress tested to the absolute limit.
I'm really running out of ideas...

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS