[SOLVED] Strange issue with DRIVES after installing new mobo+cpu+ram

Corey Alexander

Honorable
Apr 16, 2015
I haven't been able to find anything on the web or in the manuals to fix this issue so here goes-

After installing a new Mobo+ram+cpu, my drives are not working properly. I'm trying to install a fresh version of windows 10 from a USB, but I cannot edit any of the drives. I've tried everything possible using diskpart but the commands always fail, saying the device does not exist, or the device is write protected (although diskpart also says read only is OFF), or the parameter is wrong, etc. I cannot format, clean, create partitions, or anything. All drives show as online and healthy, but each is listed as having 0 bytes free, which is not the case. Booting to my old windows is also not an option, as this results in a black screen. One drive (ssd) is listed as RAW and the other (hdd) is listed as NTFS, though neither are able to be written on.

I've tried different sata ports and cables, resetting cmos, using chkdsk (doesn't work), and also installed an internal speaker which beeps only once when booted, indicating a normal boot.

I'm completely out of troubleshooting ideas at this point so any help would be greatly appreciated

Specs:
Cpu- i5 11600k
Mobo- ASRock b560 steel legend
Ram- 2x8gb Corsair vengeance lpx, 3200mhz
Gpu- sapphire r9 280x
Psu- evga b2 750w bronze
Ssd- ocz arc 100, 240gb
Hdd- western digital 1tb

Solution
What condition(s) led to this swap?
Did you have a previously working system, replace these parts only, and this issue presented?
Or was there some issue that kept that system from working, damage, surge/strike etc. and were of the thought that replacing these parts was going to fix it?

With the new motherboard, are you installing the drives in such a way as it could cause them not to read, for instance in some cases if you have an M.2 then another of your SATA ports won't be read?

The previous system was only yours, not from an organization or old workplace?

Do you have the option to put the USB into a 2.0 port? I am not sure this would be it, but strange things happen...

Edit, also if the system was old enough you might need to...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Are you trying this by way of the automated install, or have you tried going to the advanced option and delete each partition?

IE.
Unhook all but the drive that you wish Windows to be on. Use your Windows install USB downloaded from Microsoft to boot and enter the install process. There will come up a window early on that will let you choose an advanced option which will then show you all the various partitions on the disk. Use the delete command until all you see is unallocated space and hit the next/install command.

Corey Alexander

Honorable
Apr 16, 2015
Are you trying this by way of the automated install, or have you tried going to the advanced option and delete each partition?

IE.
Unhook all but the drive that you wish Windows to be on. Use your Windows install USB downloaded from Microsoft to boot and enter the install process. There will come up a window early on that will let you choose an advanced option which will then show you all the various partitions on the disk. Use the delete command until all you see is unallocated space and hit the next/install command.
Thanks for the response. Attempting to delete a partition in this way gives error 0x800701b1, meaning a device which does not exist was specified. And this happens for any partition on two different drives.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Did you have a previously working system, replace these parts only, and this issue presented?
Or was there some issue that kept that system from working, damage, surge/strike etc. and were of the thought that replacing these parts was going to fix it?

With the new motherboard, are you installing the drives in such a way as it could cause them not to read, for instance in some cases if you have an M.2 then another of your SATA ports won't be read?

Do you have the option to put the USB into a 2.0 port? I am not sure this would be it, but strange things happen...

Edit, also if the system was old enough you might need to change the (ugh total brain freeze) UEFI/legacy "stuff". Sorry complete brain fart.

Last edited:
Solution

Corey Alexander

Honorable
Apr 16, 2015

Edit, also if the system was old enough you might need to change the (ugh total brain freeze) UEFI/legacy "stuff". Sorry complete brain fart.
The system was functioning normally prior to the swap. I got the new parts to upgrade, as I built the pc around 8 years ago and have been using it regularly since then.

I don't have an M.2 but I made sure anyways that I wasn't using any ports that wouldn't be active. I ended up trying ports 0, 1, and either 3 or 4.

I moved the USB from the front panel 3.0 Port to the back directly into the motherboard, not sure if it's 2.0 or not but it didn't seem to change anything.

I tried playing with the few options in my bios regarding UEFI/legacy with no luck there either.

Corey Alexander

Honorable
Apr 16, 2015
Try using an Ubuntu live USB and see if it can access/see drives/delete them?

The prior cpu was an i5 4670k with an msi h87 g43 mobo. It's Win 10 Home

Also an update, I picked up an m.2 ssd to try thinking maybe it was just a sata issue, and it looked like it might work but gave back error code 0xC0000005 when it tried to start copying files during windows install.

Gonna try the Ubuntu thing now and see if that helps anything, thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

Corey Alexander

Honorable
Apr 16, 2015
While I was downloading ubuntu I continued toying with the m.2 because I noticed that although I couldn't install windows on it, it was behaving differently than the other drives, and I found that unlike the SSD and HDD, the m.2 was fully functioning in diskpart. Finally after I had cleaned the drive, formatted to ntfs, converted to gpt, and removed the SATA cables connecting my HDD and SSD to the motherboard, I was able to successfully install windows on the m.2 drive. Now in windows everything seems to be functioning normally, although my old ssd is showing in bios but not windows. So hopefully I can get that fixed but otherwise my issue is resolved, I still never quite got to the bottom of what caused it though.