Question Strange issue with Europa Universalis 4 on Steam ?

Dec 3, 2021
Specs are

5900x
3080ti
32gb 3200mhz ram
M.2 Sn850 SSD with 650gb spare
1000w evga supernova PSU
Asus x570 e gaming
Windows 10

So I've had my build for around 2 months now. I've been gaming sporadically whenever I have time. Mainly playing Arma 3, Warzone and Forza horizon 5. I've got a decent build so I play on 4k at max settings. So far everything has run smooth and efficiently aside from a known memory leak issue with Forza that I think has been patched but was the fault of the game not my build.

So around 3 days ago I installed EU4. The next day I plugged in my pc, powered it up and the screen resolution was randomly set to less than 1080p I play on an LG oled 48" TV so straight away it was noticeable. I went into display settings to try and change the resolution and it wouldn't detect more than 1200x720 or something like that. I thought maybe my hdmi was not in correctly so I unplugged plugged it back in. Nothing happened same issue with resolution. Nvidia control panel also would not open. I Checked TV settings all was fine there. So I decided a trusty restart may work and it did. After restarting everything was fine and back to normal 4k 120hz the rest of that day zero issues. I thought it might have been just a update error or something idk. The only thing new was Eu4 had been installed the day before and I used a new keyboard that day.

Yesterday I turned my pc on to play Eu4, but when I went to open it, it was unresponsive. I waited a few minutes tried opening it from the start menu and in folder etc was unresponsive. I tried opening steam and then launching directly from there but steam wouldn't open. Literally nothing would happen whenever I went to open it. I tried opening my other steam games Forza and arma 3 they were unresponsive also. The only game that did open was warzone but that wasn't a steam game. Everything else was running fine, just steam and games on steam were unresponsive. Again I tried a restart and all was fine after that steam was working as normal as was all my games. I started playing Eu4 and after 3 hours the screen randomly went black and crashed to desktop. Eu4 was still showing as open but was unresponsive again. I ended task in task manager and reopened it again and it launched fine, however this time it was extremely lagging it was unplayable. This was strange because I've got a 5900x 3080ti and 32gb of ram nothing was open in the background. I closed the game and then restarted my computer but this time steam wouldn't open again and all steam games were unresponsive again, so I went to task manager saw the steam processes running ended tasks and opened steam. This worked. But this was the second time steam was unresponsive and all steam games unresponsive thankfully it didn't require a restart just ending task and then opening again and all was fine.

This has never happened before, I've never had any games crash nor any issues with steam. I haven't had one issue with the computer since I got it. The first issue was the random resolution change a few days ago and then the steam issues started.

When Eu4 crashed My cpu/GPU temps were fine sub 50 for CPU and around 50 for GPU. Task manager showed when running EU4 around 4-5% CPU utilisation and sub 10% ram utilisation. Gpu utilisation was around 30%.

Im going to check today if everything is working like normal. But does anyone have any idea what could have caused the issues???

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Pertaining to your system, the specs are more than decent, they're good for a build in 2021! With respect to your specs, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? With regards to your OS, which version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on at the time of writing? As for the issue you speak of, does the issue crop up only with Europa Universalis 4. See if uninstalling and reinstalling the game changes your experience.

You could try and download the latest drivers off of Nvidia, then use DDU to uninstall all GPU drivers, then in Safe Mode, manually reinstall the GPU driver with the latest revision in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Adminsitrator.

Dec 3, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Pertaining to your system, the specs are more than decent, they're good for a build in 2021! With respect to your specs, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? With regards to your OS, which version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on at the time of writing? As for the issue you speak of, does the issue crop up only with Europa Universalis 4. See if uninstalling and reinstalling the game changes your experience.

You could try and download the latest drivers off of Nvidia, then use DDU to uninstall all GPU drivers, then in Safe Mode, manually reinstall the GPU driver with the latest revision in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Adminsitrator.

Ok so the steam issue seems to have been fixed it hasn't occured since. But Eu4 still crashes randomly could be an 1 hour into the game could be 30 minutes. It's also extremely slow and lagging which it wasn't when I first played it. My specs should be more than adequate to play at max settings. The strange thing is though when I close Eu4 after it lags or crashes other parts of my system have issues like the display settings might not open. Or Nvidia control panel might not open etc. This only happens when Eu4 crashes or lags. In all other games everything runs smooth and fine.

Bios version: American Megatrends inc. 4021 09/08/2021
SM BIOS verision: 3.3
Bios mode: Legacy
Windows Version: 10.0.19043

Nvidia drivers are all up to date. The issues only started occuring after Eu4 was downloaded and installed. Everything else runs smooth.

Thank you for your assistance