Question Strange issues, Is it my GPU?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Been doing a lot of gaming over the past few months and recently I have had some strange issues arise but only during AoE2 DE.
I have had a HARD freeze, had to hotboot out of, strange flickering/pop in of assets and buildings as I drag the mouse around,
and a couple times a blurred horizontal line appears at about mid screen and moves up slowly only if I move the mouse cursor around, its not normal screen tearing.
These all seemed like GPU issues, but given that they only happen in one game I am hoping its just that games fault.
The line is appearing while scrolling through some websites now and steam whishlist. ONLY while scrolling though.
GPU passes timespy stress test and benchmark.

I have also had some weird disconnects and my computer not registering on my main monitor ever since I plugged in a second monitor.
Hoping that is just my tv though.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

Dark Rock Pro 4
Aorus Pro Z390
3080 FE
4x8 ripjaws 3200 c14
Corsair RM850x
970 evo 1TB m.2
3x 860 evo 1tb
WD Blue 4tb

Tv: Samsung Q60 2019 model, hooked up via hdmi
Extra Monitor: Basic Acer 1080p monitor. Hooked up via displayport to hdmi adaptor.

-Since you asked about the psu I will mention I got the Corsair 12pin connector cable from corsair a couple months ago.
-GPU passes timespy stress tests and benchmarks.
-Also the line is appearing while scrolling through some websites now and steam whishlist. ONLY while scrolling though.

Rexer

Distinguished
Try reseating your hardware connections. You know, disconnecting/reconnecting pin connectors, ram, reseating the graphics card to clean off the connection points. Even the psu 110/120v plug from the wall to the psu.
By the way, are you using a UPS unit (battery backup) from the wall to your PC? If not, you will benefit from a UPS unit. Years past, I've had one of my computers' PSU unit fried by brown out (ugh!) (low house current going into the PC). Outside my home, a transformer blew up and pushed very low voltage throughout the neighborhood. I guess it was lower than 60 volts and fried everyone's electronics. TVs, radios and clocks, etc.
If I had a UPS unit it would've save the PSU. A good UPS unit will provide steady current that will allow you up to 10/15 minutes to shut off electronics. They work for brown outs and voltage spikes. They keep power clean and steady.
Hope this helps.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Try reseating your hardware connections. You know, disconnecting/reconnecting pin connectors, ram, reseating the graphics card to clean off the connection points. Even the psu 110/120v plug from the wall to the psu.
By the way, are you using a UPS unit (battery backup) from the wall to your PC? If not, you will benefit from a UPS unit. Years past, I've had one of my computers' PSU unit fried by brown out (ugh!) (low house current going into the PC). Outside my home, a transformer blew up and pushed very low voltage throughout the neighborhood. I guess it was lower than 60 volts and fried everyone's electronics. TVs, radios and clocks, etc.
If I had a UPS unit it would've save the PSU. A good UPS unit will provide steady current that will allow you up to 10/15 minutes to shut off electronics. They work for brown outs and voltage spikes. They keep power clean and steady.
Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply. The issue seems to have resolved after keeping the second screen disconnected. So I am not sure if it was the adapter or a driver issue or what. I would like to think my 3080 can actually work with dual monitors..

I am not using a UPS unit. I am not terribly worried about brownouts.. I was concerned about it sharing a circuit with my fridge but I made a post that eased my mind: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...rator-damage-solutions.3671886/#post-22116347
I have a monitor on the socket and even when the fridge kicks in it only goes down to 114v at the lowest for a split second. rest of the time it stays between 119-122v. Also I have everything insured so the only real loss would be my 3080 because they are scarce and my beloved delided 8700k. I also unplug my rig during storms or if I will be out for a day or two. Thanks for the thought though!

Reactions: Rexer

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
In the end I just unplugged the second monitor and never saw any of those issues again. Whether it was the DP to HDMI converter I had.. or just the second monitor and windows screwing up, I do not know. But that fixed it. Thanks everyone.