Question Strange issues, PC turns on but doesn't show the login screen

Jan 2, 2020
Hello everyone, thanks for reading this.

Earlier, my PC was working fine, I walked away for a while came back, and when I looked at my screen, a picture I had opened on my desktop from my photos suddenly disappeared as if I exited the file image myself. Then my mouse cursor was lagging, and as well as Chrome. I closed down Chrome and ran a Malwarebytes as well as an superantispyware scan. These scans ran for hours and when I finished, I tried to open Chrome but nothing loaded and instead showed the "Chrome trying to resolve" message. I tried to run Windows Defender and even that wouldn't load. So I shut my PC down and restarted, and it showed the MSI logo (motherboard is MSI) with loading dots, and then, nothing. Just a light black screen.

I'm concerned I've been hacked but it may just be a virus - still worrying.

Sidenote: I've had issues in the past with hardware. Kept hearing a high pitched whining noise thought it was my exhaust fan. Unplugged it and the noise went away. So maybe it's not the parts but you guys would know better than I would.

Specs:

i5 3570K
MSI Z97 PC Mate
EVGA NEX750B
HyperX 2 4GB ram
EVGA GTX 960 SSC
Western Digital Blue 1TB
Thermaltake Core V71 case
Windows 10

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018
Sorry, thought I included the OS. Windows 10. I restarted and eventually it finally got to the login screen. Should I attempt to login or restart and go into safe mode? Also for safe mode, do I have to press shift and f8 at the same time?
I'm not familiar with Win10. At core, I know it's the same as Win8 and Win7, but how you do things is different.

To get into Safe Mode, you press the F8 key (no shift) repeatedly during POST. Mostly you do this just to prove that you can. The lag at startup could be hard drive errors, which can be caused by a poor quality PSU, and not it's absence in your specs. Are you embarrassed of it? (lol)

I would run chkdsk first. Report if it finds and/or repairs any errors.
Then I would run sfc/ scannow to fix/replace any system files that might be missing or corrupt.
Boot to BIOS. Report here all voltages reported in BIOS (vcore, memory, whatever. Look in particular for the 12 volt rail, as that supplies power to the Hard Drive. 11.9 volts is good and 11.1 volts is bad, to give you some sense of tolerance. At this stage we're trying to prove that either things are good, or things are bad. Remove all unnecessary hardware from the system (printers, usb storage, whatever) in order to be certain it's not some insignificant peripheral that is causing the problems.