Strange lag and Alt + Tab

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
I've just recently started to experience a strange performance issue in a couple of games that clears up by Alt + Tabbing out and back in. I've had it in BioShock Infinite and today in Tales of Monkey Island. With BioShock, it feels like there's frame skipping going on and that the frames have lowered to 30 or 40 despite FRAPS saying 60.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Solution
I'm about to go play some TF2. I'll open the driver page and watch the temps/load when I alt tab out at some point tonight. Say Hi when you read this again so I can find this thread more easily please.

Edit: I didn't have your problem. ~40% load, 60C, and fans at 60%. Alt tabbed out and they all dropped. ~25% load, 50C and 50% fan. I'm still thinking a bug in the games.

4745454b

Titan
What's your system specs? I remember reading about this with the very old 8800GTS 320. The alt tab works because it flushed the Vram. When you went back into the game it was back at zero so it could perform normally again once it loaded everything back up. Any chance you are using a 2-4GBs of ram, or a 512 or lower GPU?

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Those are the only two games I've experienced it with so far. I have been playing Borderlands 1 and 2 as well, but haven't encountered it with them. My GPU drivers are the latest up to date ones.

If it is the VRAM that needs flushing, what's the best way of doing it (besides Alt + Tab) before loading up a game?

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
I'm not sure if it's a Vsync issue. Usually I force VSync on via the NVIDIA Control Panel instead of in the game. As for it reading the HDD: no more than usual really. I defragged and did a virus scan just the other day.

I will try and uninstall/reinstall the GPU drivers and see if that helps any

4745454b

Titan
couldn't hurt. I suggested defrag because I remember when there was a TF2 update that screwed up everyone's system. It seems the fix to the frame rate issue was to have Steam defrag everyone's hdd. I've moved onto SSDs now so I don't have that issue with games anymore.

Might want to try a different driver. In cause that one simply doesn't like the games you listed.

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
I had no idea that Steam has its own defragger... o_O

Would like to get an SSD drive, but they're too expensive. Particularly for a terabyte

EDIT: I'm guessing you mean the 'verify file cache' feature on Steam?

4745454b

Titan
It was a special one time update. I think there is one in steam now though. As I said I don't use it because I use SSDs now.

I have my OS on a Samsung 128GB 470. My steam folder sits on a Samsung 256GB 840pro. Next time I see a good 750GB/1TB SSD on sale I'll get that, and move the Steam folder over to it. Bump my 840pro over to the OS drive. I heard last black friday/cyber monday newegg has the 750GB evo for just under $300 I think it was. Just keep your eyes out and get one when you can. (for storage I have two 4TBs. I have just under 8TBs of formatted space.)

Edit: No, the verify file cache is something else.

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Reinstalling the drivers made no difference. I'm also noticing that my GPU fan and temperature is increasing whilst I have BioShock Infinite minimised/paused. The fan speed has jumped from 50 degrees to 60 and the temperature is 70 degrees. Is this normal?

4745454b

Titan
I'm about to go play some TF2. I'll open the driver page and watch the temps/load when I alt tab out at some point tonight. Say Hi when you read this again so I can find this thread more easily please.

Edit: I didn't have your problem. ~40% load, 60C, and fans at 60%. Alt tabbed out and they all dropped. ~25% load, 50C and 50% fan. I'm still thinking a bug in the games.

Solution