Strange light blue artifacts on my screen

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017
Hey.

I've posted this yesterday and got no replies sadly, so I thought of shamelessly posting it again with some extra info.

I have a LG Flatron W1943SE connected via a HDMI adapter to my GTX 1050. It wasn't until yesterday that I noticed some strange light blue artifacts glowing on my screen in certain colors, mainly light yellow or orange, like, if I take a look at an image of a face, many parts of it are going to be covered by this artifacts. I've tried reconnecting all of the cables of my display but nothing. I've tried the same monitor in another PC and it gives the same error, which makes me think if it is one of the cables (especially the VGA one) or the monitor itself. Right now I don't have another VGA cable or another monitor to test sadly, and I'm not going to buy a new cable to find out that it's the monitor that got broken. This doesn't make the display unusable but it's extremely annoying, especially when playing games because I feel like if I were in the matrix.

Here is an image: https://imgur.com/a/oqr7wMk

Any idea on what's the problem? Any fix? Do I need a new monitor?

Solution
Your post yesterday was interesting, but lacking in details which might have helped figure out what was going on. This time you included several crucial details.

Look for some sort of "auto adjust" or image scaling option on the monitor. The monitor only has VGA input. VGA is an analog format, so it sizes the screen image based on precise timing against a clock. If the timing is slightly off, the image can be too wide or too narrow, or shifted slightly left or right. If that happens, the image pixels do not align precisely with the screen pixels, and can spill over slightly to adjacent pixels.

Monitors have independent red, green, and blue subpixels (the color pixels are RGBRGBRGB etc). So an image shifted slightly left can...
Your post yesterday was interesting, but lacking in details which might have helped figure out what was going on. This time you included several crucial details.

Look for some sort of "auto adjust" or image scaling option on the monitor. The monitor only has VGA input. VGA is an analog format, so it sizes the screen image based on precise timing against a clock. If the timing is slightly off, the image can be too wide or too narrow, or shifted slightly left or right. If that happens, the image pixels do not align precisely with the screen pixels, and can spill over slightly to adjacent pixels.

Monitors have independent red, green, and blue subpixels (the color pixels are RGBRGBRGB etc). So an image shifted slightly left can cause red image pixels to slightly spill over and activate the blue screen subpixels. An image shifted slightly right can cause green image pixels to slightly activate the blue subpixels. The auto adjust setting calibrates the incoming signal against the clock, and sets it so the image pixels align as closely as possible with the screen pixels, eliminating this spillage. If your monitor does not have an auto adjust setting, you're going to have to find the manual settings and adjust the image manually (both scale and skew - shrink or enlarge, and slide left/right).

There's also a slight chance the cable is defective, and spurious signals on the wire carrying the red and green channels are leaking over to the blue channel. If auto adjusting doesn't help, then the next thing to try is a different cable. Try to make sure the cable has RF chokes on it (the little round things on both ends - they're magnets which help block spurious signals).

The HDMI to VGA adapter could be the culprit too. It's converting a digital image signal into an analog signal. If it's quality isn't very good, it could be allowing red and green analog signal to slightly contaminate the blue analog signal. The best way to eliminate these case is to find an older computer/graphics card with VGA output, and connect that to your monitor using a different VGA cable.

Finally, check to make sure the monitor doesn't have any special enhancement features designed to make video somehow look better. These features modify the incoming signal on real-life images like movies or photos to enhance them. Real-life images rarely use the full dynamic range the image format is capable of supporting, so some stretching usually enhances the image. Computer-generated images tend to use the full dynamic range, so trying to enhance them can lead to clipping artifacts which sometimes look similar to what you're seeing.

Solution

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017

Thanks for the answer. I've tried the Auto adjust button on my monitor but it didn't helped in anything, another problem that I have is that the monitor is quite old now and the Menu and Engine buttons are both broken so I can't actually change much .-.

I've tried again reconnecting the cables and stuff and still nothing, I will see if in these next days I can test both the VGA cable and the HDMI adapter in other PCs or monitors. If the problem persists then I will need to change either the cable or adapter, otherwise I'm going to need a new display and the cheapest ones I've found are around $120 USD (and they are mainly VGA, 1360x768), with the chepeast 1080p HDMI being at least $150 USD. I guess that once I get the money I will post here again looking for some advice when buying it, I need a new display anyways.

Thanks again for the answer :)

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017
I'm making an update on this just to say that this is getting even more worrying. The problem is extending to other colors, mainly light gray, white, and brown. I'm afraid :S

Edit: Well as I'm writting this my monitor is dying. Guess I'll need to buy a new one ASAP.

TRENDING THREADS