mohammad.yasir3

Prominent
Aug 3, 2018
I have this monitor; LG-24MP59HT-P

just yesterday, a strange issue started happening to the monitor screen.

regardless whether the monitor is connected to the PC or is just idle, these strange lines keep appearing. Even when the PC is off ( but the monitor itself is on ) and the display ports of the Monitor are not connected to any input, these lines keep appearing.

I have linked a video for you to see and help figure out the exact issue, please see this Google Photos link https://photos.app.goo.gl/tB4En8ALHfovwcW8A

The Monitor is out of warranty, but please do let me know what exactly is this issue with the screen.

any help or guidance someone can give me in this regard is much, MUCH appreciated

i have been worrying non-stop for about a day now.

PC Specs :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 1500x
GPU : Sapphire RX 580 8GB
RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR4 (2400 MHZ)

Last edited:
Solution
How much money do you want to put into a monitor that will still be out of warranty?

Repair expense depends on what the repair person charges, the time to diagnose, and the fix needed. For inexpensive computer monitors, unless the repair person has donor parts from another matching monitor (unlikely) he is willing to let you have for cheap (unlikely) , or it is something simple like a failing cap on a board that needs replaced, it can start getting very expensive. Sourcing and installing New LCD screens (if even available for your monitor) bought as separate screens, are often near as expensive as buying a new monitor that actually has a warranty.
It would need to be diagnosed. LCD Screen, interior ribbon cables/connector issues, board power problems, or deteriorating controller board in the monitor all possible.

If it's out of warranty, it's probably cheaper to buy a new one, unless you have somewhere/one that can go through all the possible problems and test for you, and replace things cheaply.

mohammad.yasir3

Prominent
Aug 3, 2018
It would need to be diagnosed. LCD Screen, interior ribbon cables/connector issues, board power problems, or deteriorating controller board in the monitor all possible.

So basically, it could be one of these 4 issues as you listed, right ?

that gives me a sort of a starting point to tell the shop where i'll be taking it.

If it's out of warranty, it's probably cheaper to buy a new one, unless you have somewhere/one that can go through all the possible problems and test for you, and replace things cheaply.

Is it that bad ?

are monitors that expensive to repair in general ? or is it only this particular issue ?

Tell me, would a LCD/LED shop, which usually repairs LED/LCD TVs, be able to handle this ?

How much money do you want to put into a monitor that will still be out of warranty?

Repair expense depends on what the repair person charges, the time to diagnose, and the fix needed. For inexpensive computer monitors, unless the repair person has donor parts from another matching monitor (unlikely) he is willing to let you have for cheap (unlikely) , or it is something simple like a failing cap on a board that needs replaced, it can start getting very expensive. Sourcing and installing New LCD screens (if even available for your monitor) bought as separate screens, are often near as expensive as buying a new monitor that actually has a warranty.

Reactions: mohammad.yasir3
Solution

mohammad.yasir3

Prominent
Aug 3, 2018

i understand.

thank you for the detailed reply.

i am cursing my luck .. for buying an open box monitor ( which had 1 month warranty ), for having it go bad on me within an year of purchase ( bought it last August ) and for the fact that electronics are expensive like hell in Pakistan.

it will take me at least a month, probably two to take out enough money from my salary to buy a new monitor with warranty.

Its the only PC screen i have, so i'm more likely than not stuck with this issue for quite a while now.... real sore on the eyes ...

thank you nonetheless for taking me through a detailed explanation.

i will still retain that sliver of hope that i can get it fixed to use for a respectable period of time, before i have to scrap/sell it at a throwaway price.