strange memory behaviour

G

hi you brilliant people,i'm desperately asking for your help, i'm stumped.my system specs are

fic pa2013 atx motherboard with 512kb cache
amd k6-2 500mhz cpu
128 mb ram (dimms..two 64 sticks)
voodoo3 graphics card
sb live soundcard
running win 98.

now the problem is when i fill all 3 dimm slots(3 64s)
my system performance drastically decreases,when i use only two dimm slots the preformance increases,this was confirmed by a number of benchmarks i ran.can some on please tell me what i did wrong,what i'm doing wrong or what i didn't do yet ,even my bloody frame rates are dropping when i fill all three dimm slots,i thought the more memory the merrier cause my system and i are definately not merrier.i'm eagerly awaiting your response

G

Some chipsets support only PC100 RAM in all three slots. Perhaps some or all of the RAM you are using is PC133?

Also, some chipsets support only low-density (single-sided) RAM in all three slots, and allow high-density RAM in just the first two slots (the last slot must remain free).

And when filling less than all the slots, sometimes certain slots must be filled before others.

Check your motherboard specs in the manual or go online to the manufacturer's website.

Good luck.

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
I'm not quite sure of this but I think there were some chipsets that only cached some of the memory modules - but I think that was an older chipset. Check your bios configuration, specially the last DRAM bank timings.