Question Strange mouse and touchpad issues

metallica123

Reputable
Feb 5, 2019
Problem:

- If I left click on mouse and drag something, i am unable to do it completely. This makes it difficult to use any app which requires extensive use of mouse or drag/ drop feature. E.g if I have to drag a text file from a explorer folder and drop it in notepad to open, the file is released (dropped) even before I can drop it in the app.
I am not able to drag anything for more than 1 sec or few pixels on screen.

- Same issue happens with usage of right click functionality. eg i use gestures using right click and I cannot use them completely.

- This also happens when I use the touchpad. So the same issues with both mouse and touchpad

what I know is not an issue:

• not an issue with actual mouse as I have tried with another new mouse and have the same issue
  • When i vpn using citrix into a work

things I tried:

• System file checker full scan
  • Windows update and latest drivers installed
  • trying new mouse and reinstalling drivers

I use a Windows 11 machine, upgraded from Win 10. The upgrade was done several months ago, but the issue only started since a week.

Anyone faced something similar?

Thoughts on how I can fix this?

Thank you in advance

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Make and model mice?

In Windows (WIN + I) check Mouse related options via Devices.

Also check in Ease of Access Settings (Scroll down for mouse).

There all multiple mouse related options available if you select "Additional Mouse Options".

Take a look first. If you decide to change something then change only one thing at a time.

Keep notes: the original setting and what change you made. Just in case you need to go back and undo something.

metallica123

Reputable
Feb 5, 2019
Thanks for your reply

Updated mouse details at the bottom of this post, but as I indicated I believe this seems unrelated to mouse as using different mouse the problem still persists.

also if I vpn into another machine, the problem does not exist and the mouse and touchpad both work perfectly.

Mouse 1 - Tecknet Wireless mouse
Mouse 2 - TeckNet Bluetooth mouse 3000 dpi

Ralston18

Titan
Agree that if the problem is occurring with two different mice that also work perfectly in one environment and not in another environment then it is not the mice per se.

What VPN?

You mentioned using "Citrix going into work" in your original post.

Just FYI:

https://www.dnsstuff.com/vpn-vs-remote-desktop#:~:text=Security,considered more secure than RDP.

https://www.securelink.com/blog/wha... RDP and VPN serve,is open-ended and unsecure.

Can you provide a bit more information about your environment(s) and the connectivity being used?

metallica123

Reputable
Feb 5, 2019
thanks again.

what i meant to say when i connect using a vpn to an office computer everything works fine suggesting this is not an issue with mouse but only related to either hardware or software issue on my own computer.

that was an additional point to confirm the issue is not with mouse.

The environment is Windows 11 Home, 21H2, build 22000.795
Processor - 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz

Ralston18

Titan
What vpn?

Free, paid, company provided?

What procedure do you follow when you use your home computer to access the company computer.

No need for company name, login/user names, or passwords.

Just basically what steps or procedure do you use to access the work computer and the drag and drop problems begin?

Have you discussed the problem with your company's IT support?

metallica123

Reputable
Feb 5, 2019
Thanks again.

Please ignore the VPN part :) As the issue is on local computer.

the issue is primarily with the computer and inability to select text property, drag anything or use any gestures.

Any suggestions please as this is affecting ability to do anything and I have tried with different mouse and ran all diagnostics