[SOLVED] Strange mouse behaviour, cannot figure out whats wrong.

Kev_182

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Hey guys,

I've got an issue, that been going on for about a year and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Ill explain the problem, then list my specs and what I have tried already.

So sometimes while using my PC my mouse will stop registering mouse movement, for about a second or two. Just before this happens, my mouse movement will jerk slightly in a upward direction.

What is strange is that it doesnt disconnect from the PC, I dont hear the disconnect Chime. Even weirder is right when this happends if I flip my mouse over and run my finger over the optic sensor the mouse will move on screen. After about 1 -2 seconds the mouse movements register again.

The frequency is not at all often when doing simple tasks. It happends when playing non triple A game titles, like Rust, Escape from Tarkov or 7 Days to Die and the frequency can get up to 3-4 times every 10 minutes. Sometimes I can go a few hours with nothing.

This has happened across multiple mice, including a brand new Razer Mamba, non of the mice exhibit this behavior in different machines.

Specs
Asus 170-a mobo
i7 7700k @4.9ghz
NZXT Kraken x52 cooler
Gskill 2x8GB Ram
EVGA 2080ti FTW3
Intel m.2 1tb
Samsung Evo 500gb SSD
EVGA Platinum 750 watt PSU

Troubleshooting so far
- I have tried multiple mice, they work fine in other machines. Not mine.
-I upgraded to this PSU beucase I thought it was power related.
-All Drivers are uptodate
-In device manager all my USB ports cannot sleep to dave power.
-Did a fresh clean install of windows.
-I've run the mouse with and without Razer Software.
-Changed mouse pads multiple times.

I am at a loss here. I've researched and tried various other fixes.

After all the stuff I've tried, and with the fact the mouse still registers clicks while happening, and that if I put my finger along the optical sensor it can register that it feels like for some reason, the range on the optical sensor reduces for a short period of time.

I would appreciate any insight or help here.

Last edited:
Solution
Three immediate thoughts:

1) Clean the optical sensor per Razor's User Guide/Manual.

2) Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the jerky mouse movements.

3) Check the mouse cord: is the cord being stretched in any manner: perhaps hanging down (unsupported), entangled with other cords, dragging across the edge of your desk or table? With the problem occurring with multiple mice I would certainly ensure that the mouse plug end is being supported in a manner that allows freedom for the cord to move a bit but not allow weight to be placed on the host port.

Ralston18

Titan
Heavy gaming - correct?

All of the mice being wireless mice? Possible interference.....

How old is the PSU? Was it originally used, reconditioned, or new? PSU may no longer be up to the task of supporting the imposed wattage load and USB service falters.

Kev_182

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Heavy gaming - correct?

All of the mice being wireless mice? Possible interference.....

How old is the PSU? Was it originally used, reconditioned, or new? PSU may no longer be up to the task of supporting the imposed wattage load and USB service falters.

All the mice tested were run wired

PSU was bought new 1.5 years ago.

Ralston18

Titan
Three immediate thoughts:

1) Clean the optical sensor per Razor's User Guide/Manual.

2) Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the jerky mouse movements.

3) Check the mouse cord: is the cord being stretched in any manner: perhaps hanging down (unsupported), entangled with other cords, dragging across the edge of your desk or table? With the problem occurring with multiple mice I would certainly ensure that the mouse plug end is being supported in a manner that allows freedom for the cord to move a bit but not allow weight to be placed on the host port.

Solution