[SOLVED] Strange mouse behaviour.

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Hi.

I posted a Q recently about strange behaviour with a wireless mouse I was using on a laptop I was upgrading to Win10, where any menu or list I hovered over ready to select a specific item (eg choice of language, etc) or clicked on would automatically start scrolling down to the last item without me touching anything. If I scrolled back up the list using my scroll wheel or by clicking on the 'up' icon, the list would move up but would immediately fall back down as soon as I stopped scrolling! After finally managing to install Win10, it seemed ok so I concluded it was a faulty Logitech mouse. However, I've just discovered similar strange behaviour on my main PC which uses a Victsing wireless keyboard and mouse.

If I hover over the volume icon on, say, Youtube, or even the normal PC one in the bottom-right of my desktop, the volume begins to scroll upwards - increasing the volume - without me touching any buttons - it just 'moves' by itself. If move the mouse off the icon, it stops. Place it over it again and up she goes. I can make the volume bar move up and down as normal by clicking or dragging on it, but as soon as I stop doing this, the volume bar keeps rising smoothly upwards as long as the mouse arrow is on the icon.

It's the same when it's a list of items to view as you get on eBay welcome screen - you know, the horizontal list of 'watched items' or 'recently viewed' on the welcome page which you can scroll to see further items beyond each side. As soon as the mouse arrowhead goes over a picture, the whole thing begins to scroll sideways by itself, just like the volume control.

Any ideas what on earth is going on?

Thanks.

Solution
What make model laptop? I would seem the mouse is acting like the left click button is being held down. This can be the result of an errant mouse or touchpad driver; it can also happen if you inadvertently touch the touchpad while moving the mouse. Within Windows Ease of Access Center is Make the Mouse easier to use. Included is a check box Activate a window by hovering over it.
What make model laptop? I would seem the mouse is acting like the left click button is being held down. This can be the result of an errant mouse or touchpad driver; it can also happen if you inadvertently touch the touchpad while moving the mouse. Within Windows Ease of Access Center is Make the Mouse easier to use. Included is a check box Activate a window by hovering over it.

Reactions: Frooby
Solution

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Thanks onespeedbiker.

Yes, I'd describe the behaviour as being like a stuck LH button. But, it has happened on two unrelated devices now. The first was a Lenovo laptop which I was upgrading to Win10 from 7, and that process was made pretty awkward by the 'automatic scrolling' effect when I'd added a wireless mouse (a good Logitech model); trying to select 'country' and 'keyboard language' etc was a real pita.

The thing is, it's also now happening to my Stone usff PC which has always had it's own Victsing wireless keyboard and mouse. I've just this morning downloaded and installed Malwarebytes on this device in case it was due to malware , and foolishly allowed the mouse's pointer to sweep over the 'select language' box which was already defaulted to 'EnglishUK'. Damn me if it didn't immediately start scrolling, and continued to do so as long as the pointer was over the box. Scrolling it back up to EnglishUK was really awkward as I'd have to swipe the pointer away from the box immediately it appeared; for the first attempts it would have dropped to a 'lower' language before I'd reacted.

The LH button is certainly not faulty as it functions exactly as I'd expect in all other ways.

I'll check that Mouse feature - that certainly sounds like it. Thanks.

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Hmm, as you suggested, 'Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them' was 'ON'. However, this hasn't changed its behaviour when turned off.

'Turn on Click Lock' is unticked.

:-( What the hell?

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
This is now quite troublesome. I received an email from my builder with a photo of an invoice. Unfortunately the image embedded in the text was so large that it took up more than the email window width, so a 'scroll bar' appeared at the bottom of the email screen. However, I can't get to see it all as the frame scrolls sideways whenever I open the email; only the right hand section of it remains visible. Attempting to scroll leftwards fails every time - I get around halfway before it jumps to the right again - I literally cannot drag the image full left.

In this message, I initially mispelt 'received' but when I right-clicked on it the 'right-click' menu would appear for only a tiny fraction of a second each time, making it impossible to select anything from it. Ironically, this has also now happened with 'mispelt' :-(

My mouse is possessed.

I have run Malwarebytes, and this found nothing.

I guess I'll try removing and updating my mouse driver - a reasonable next step?

Thanks.

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Seems to be fixed. Unplugged the wireless dongle, plugged in a wired keyboard and mouse - which worked normally - and then replugged the dongle. All is working fine at the mo'.

Bludy confusing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts