Question Strange NAS problem

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Hi,

I have an Asus AS1002T NAS box that works absolutely fine in one location and really strangely in another.

At home connected into my router it is absolutely fine, I can copy files to and from it, create backups with Backup Maker & Cobian but in my office it all goes to *&?%

In the office there are 4 PC's, a network Brother MFC, a credit card machine and I think the phones are on ethernet as well. I have mapped a z: drive on each PC to a separate user folder on the NAS.
Its been playing up for a while on and off and I watched it doing a backup and whenever the Backup Maker software created the backup ok but as soon as it started to copy the zip file to the NAS the connection to the NAS went on all PCs. the only way to get it back was to turn the power off and back on again, then it repeated every time I tried a backup.

Then I tried Cobian and that seemed to work in that in copied the files across to the NAS but I kept getting password is incorrect or file corrupted messages. I think this was due to me using winrar and zip compression, even when I used the latest winzip it didnt work properly. Now I have changed it to 7zip compression and installed 7zip.

Today I go into the office and there are backup files on the NAS from each PC for the past 2 days but they are far too small.
I go to PC1
open z drive
try to copy 7zip file to desktop, it doesnt start copying then the window goes grey and windows explorer freezes.
In Windows explorer there is now a red cross on z: drive
I can still ping the NAS and access the web interface

I go to PC2 and exactly the same thing occurs

I go to PC3 and exactly the same thing occurs again

So PC2 and PC3 could still see but not copy the files on z drive even after PC1 was disconnected from z drive
and PC3 could still see the files and I managed to copy a 91KB zip file from z drive to the desktop even after PC1 & PC2 had disconnected from z drive

I logged into the web interface and restarted the NAS
Then I tried to copy files to it manually from PC3, it got so far and stopped

I couldnt ping it or access the web interface

Any ideas why it works ok on one network but not another?

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
It does have a static IP address 192.168.1.10, in the office all the PC's have DCHP enabled and the router is from 192.168.1.33 upwards so shouldnt conflict
I have never seen a IP address conflict message on any PC, if there was conflicting IP addresses surely the web interface would go to another device and the ping would still get a reply when the NAS goes offline?

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
At the office today I disconnected the NAS from the LAN and tried to ping 192.168.1.10 and there was no response, I also tried 192.168.1.10 in firefox and that did not find a web interface for anything so i dont think there can be an IP conflict

Last edited: