[SOLVED] Strange networking problem

pointlessjames

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
I'm having some weird latency issues.

When I run a ping test to my router it will fairly consistently take an abnormally long time for around 1 in 4 packets. Due to this oddly specific problem, I have no problems streaming or with most internet usage.

However when it comes to games some of them are affected massively and others not at all, probably due to how the networking has been programmed. For example, Dota 2 runs without a hitch but cs:go is unplayable.

Other computers on the network are not having this problem.

E.G.
Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time=205ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be welcome!

*Edit This problem does not occur when i connect via ethernet

Solution

Unfortunately, that's just the way it is with WiFi. Any sort of interference will corrupt a packet, forcing the device to request a resend and wait for the other device to resend the packet. That adds some delay.

Temporarily change the WiFi password and repeat the test. That should eliminate WiFi transmissions from other devices as a source of interference.

As you say this is the only computer experiencing the problem (presumably other computers are also on WiFi), are you by chance using a wireless keyboard or mouse or bluetooth devices near that computer or between the computer and router? Those devices usually transmit on the 2.4 GHz band, and can add...
When you post network issues... what other people doing in your network matters, because you have to share the "road" with them. How much bandwidth you paid for matters, the width of the road kinda dictate how many cars can go and how fast. So think about that.

That "spike" says *somebody* in your household is requesting major bandwidth at that moment. It can be your own doing, if ur running torrent in the background for example. Upload bandwidth can be just as important as download bandwidth.

Unfortunately, that's just the way it is with WiFi. Any sort of interference will corrupt a packet, forcing the device to request a resend and wait for the other device to resend the packet. That adds some delay.

Temporarily change the WiFi password and repeat the test. That should eliminate WiFi transmissions from other devices as a source of interference.

As you say this is the only computer experiencing the problem (presumably other computers are also on WiFi), are you by chance using a wireless keyboard or mouse or bluetooth devices near that computer or between the computer and router? Those devices usually transmit on the 2.4 GHz band, and can add interference. Easy fix is to use 5 GHz WiFi if that's possible.

Solution